Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

No power on steep incline

Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power on steep incline

A couple times this weekend, on a steep incline on a logging road (in 2wd), the Jeep would barely creep forward from the stop in 1st gear (auto, '09). It felt as if it had no power. I can't say the tranny was slipping, maybe half-slipping at best, because the Jeep was creeping forward very slowly, and RPM didn't just free shoot as in Neutral. I stopped right there and checked the tranny fluid level. It was between the cold top mark and the hot low mark. Fair enough, as I was on an incline. After the fluid check, the Jeep went straight up no problem. Maybe 20-30 minutes later, same problem happens again, exact same situation: stopped on a steep incline, trying to move from a stop. This time I simply cycled all tranny gears from P to 1 and back, and everything went fine after that. I rechecked my fluid level at level ground and it was above the hot low mark. Did one more check the next day, and fluid was at or above the hot top mark. So I'm sure I got enough fluid in there.

Another theory I have, is maybe my ESP was acting up. It felt a lot like brakes were applied, although no ESP lights were going off at those times. However, on the same trip, the ESP/BAS light came on and stayed solid for about 5 minutes. This is the 1st time I see it happen to me.

Any ideas? Anyone had this happen as well? Was it simply a glitch with ESP, or I have some tranny problems?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My 11 auto will act like that in sand or when traction is otherwise limited. Feels like the Jeep has its bumper against a stump. If I put it in 4-lo to disable most of the electronic nannies the problem goes away.

I don't understand the wisdom of a traction control system that immobilizes the Jeep, but that seems to be how it works. Its made a lot of folks on this forum scratch their head
Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default now power

disable ESP with the steering wheep dance.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:47 PM
JK Freak

Just a thought....maybe I'm overreacting but, in this situation I shift to 4 low to "be easy on my trans" then back to high when I'm on the flats.

I'm very nervous about over working my trans.

Quick Reply: No power on steep incline