Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

No leaks, no smoke, wheres my oil going???

Old 01-11-2020, 05:07 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Rmbauti405
I lose a quart every 100 miles. Fill it every time I check it. But I always catch it before it gets under a quart. Only time I've let it get lower than that was 800 miles after this issue started when my oil light started flashing everytime I would stop and go. That's when I noticed the oil consumption. Before it started it was loosing maybe 2 quarts between 3k mile intervals.
The oil light flashing indicates near zero oil pressure, which could have damaged the bearings -- And the sound in the video could be bearings. If the knock started about when the oil lamp was flashing, or shortly after, odds are that the lack of oil pressure caused it. Oil analyses, checking oil pressure, and dropping the oil pan are what come to mind for troubleshooting. This seems like it's going from bad to worse.

Oil consumption that causes the oil level to get below the oil pump's suction pickup is a classic engine killer. Especially likely to happen if there's an increase in consumption.
The following users liked this post:
Rmbauti405 (01-11-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Little update and end to this thread. Dumped some seafoam in the oil just for shits and giggles ran it for 200 miles and drained it with the intentions to pull it all apart and see what's going on. Oil had plenty of goldish and silvery medal glitters in it. So, rings it is. Been running it many many miles with this issue now. So this motors done. The price for machine work vs a new long block is a pretty obvious decision. So by the end of the week it will either be traded in or a new long block ordered in I haven't decided if I want to deal with a 3.8 again or just get rid of it all together. Dont have the funds for a swap so... anyhow thanks for replys to this thread. And good day to ya.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:28 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

For a used 3.8L, try calling Motech in Las Vegas. They do the LS conversions and I'm pretty sure they eventually sell most of the 3.8 & 3.6 engines that come out.

The following users liked this post:
Rmbauti405 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Recommendations on new long block?
Old 01-17-2020, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rmbauti405
Recommendations on new long block?
I'd search and check reviews, check local shops and see what they would use.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Goin with new mopar heads and a local shop going to rebuild the shortblock for me.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Default The poops out.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Every single crank bearing was destroyed in the old motor.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are not alone on this, the 3.8's had a serious drinking problem due to sticking oil control rings. The worst part is Dodge knew about it and it should have been a recall in my opinion. Mine suffered the same fate, and after many trips to the dealer they agreed to do a oil consumption test by sealing the filler, dipstick, and drain. I had to bring it back every 500 miles so they could check it. It failed miserably and they tore it down and replaced the rings under warranty.
The service manager admitted they all have this problem but they had to follow the test procedure and use more than 1 quart every 1000 miles anything less is considered "normal" total bullshit IMO. Good luck with the rebuild!
Old 04-01-2020, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The manifolds are another issue for the 3.8's but not related to the oil consumption, the egr and cats could definitely be from the oil issue, but good luck getting the dealer to do anything about it, especially if the work has already been done. I would do the test yourself first and make sure it's using more than a quart every thousand miles, if it does they should take care of it.
For the warranty, make sure your five year inspections have been done and documented. I had mine canceled because I had a dealer do the inspection two weeks too early!

Quick Reply: No leaks, no smoke, wheres my oil going???