Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

No leaks, no smoke, wheres my oil going???

Old 01-09-2020, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So now I have gotten a chance to really pay attention at nite with a vehicle behind me for light. (Windows are super tinted probably why I never seen smoke also soft top windows are so rough I can barely see clear out them anyway) when I accelerate hard it will smoke pretty good and this has only happened once but I was at a red light longer than they usually last around here and from a stop it spit out smoke just for a second and stopped. And if I revv it good parked it blows smoke. As far as I can see no smoke during deceleration though. Jeeps highway driven daily for work. Starting to lean toward rings. Compressions great, so probably just oil control rings??
Old 01-09-2020, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Have you replaced the PCV yet?
Old 01-09-2020, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Have you replaced the PCV yet?
yes, didnt seem to change anything. I've lost several qts in the few hundred miles since I replaced it. Lol
Old 01-09-2020, 08:53 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

If it's simply stuck oil control rings, this engine flush may un-stick them. Follow the directions except I'd wait until it's 2 quarts down so it's more concentrated, and idle it in 4lo (for a faster idle) for 30 minutes before draining/refill.

On a side note, there's no product that will swell worn viton valve stem seals -- So unless there's a big leak on the front/rear main seal there's no reason to try any of the seal-restore type of products.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

If it's simply stuck oil control rings, this engine flush may un-stick them. Follow the directions except I'd wait until it's 2 quarts down so it's more concentrated, and idle it in 4lo (for a faster idle) for 30 minutes before draining/refill.

On a side note, there's no product that will swell worn viton valve stem seals -- So unless there's a big leak on the front/rear main seal there's no reason to try any of the seal-restore type of products.

appreciate it, it did sit for 2 maybe 3 months before burning the usual 1 qt every 1k miles this excessive oil loss didnt start till I started driving it daily again. Maybe I let it sit to long without starting it..

Old 01-10-2020, 11:43 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Rmbauti405
appreciate it, it did sit for 2 maybe 3 months before burning the usual 1 qt every 1k miles this excessive oil loss didnt start till I started driving it daily again. Maybe I let it sit to long without starting it..
Stay in touch, hope it works.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

I got a video I'd like to be watched (really heard) but I can't figure out how to post it from my phone..

Old 01-11-2020, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Stay in touch, hope it works.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 408 Likes on 383 Posts

IME... Listening to your video.. a knock that changes with rpms is usually Rod bearings. Also, automotive engineers, for warranty purposes, did not recommend tearing an engine down if oil consumption was not in the 800 miles per quart... Do you only add oil when the dipstick indicates it to be a the ADD mark or below? Rod Bearings and Oil consumption are separate issues; however, lack of OIL will result in bearing issues.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
IME... Listening to your video.. a knock that changes with rpms is usually Rod bearings. Also, automotive engineers, for warranty purposes, did not recommend tearing an engine down if oil consumption was not in the 800 miles per quart... Do you only add oil when the dipstick indicates it to be a the ADD mark or below? Rod Bearings and Oil consumption are separate issues; however, lack of OIL will result in bearing issues.
I lose a quart every 100 miles. Fill it every time I check it. But I always catch it before it gets under a quart. Only time I've let it get lower than that was 800 miles after this issue started when my oil light started flashing everytime I would stop and go. That's when I noticed the oil consumption. Before it started it was loosing maybe 2 quarts between 3k mile intervals.

Quick Reply: No leaks, no smoke, wheres my oil going???