Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

No leaks, no smoke, wheres my oil going???

Old 12-26-2019, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No leaks, no smoke, wheres my oil going???

I'll start at the beginning and work up to what I have found. I bought my 09 2 door january 2019 from a dealer with 102k miles. All stock except some pretty embarrassing moto metal wheels. Owning the jeep has been a blast. On the weekends anyhow. Obviously it took some getting used to going from 350z's and minitrucks to a wrangler daily driving lol. I've lifted the jeep, and un lifted it until I'm financially better off (if I ever am driving these damn things everyday) jk. seriously though after driving it lifted just a 3 inch, then back stock height the every day road feel is night and day difference and I enjoy driving it more stock height on 33s. So fast forward many weekends of torture I put this thing through at the river and trails lifted to now shortly after I got it back down to stock height it started running very poorly and got pretty noisy after I let it set about a month. I found the driver exhaust manifold was cracked. Typical I know so I replaced the manifold and checked all of the heat shields for rattling. I had about 800 miles since my last oil change at this point and the oil light flashed at me and started dinging. So I took it home did a oil change and then it started in with zero power at wot under load. (Not typical jeep gutless btw) it would missfire and ses would flash if it would downshift to accelerate at highway speeds. so I went home and started checking everything. It threw random missfire code and o2 and cat codes. So I pulled the y pipe and checked the cats due to instinct from past experiences with cats and how the jeep fealt with throttle under load. The driver side cat closest to the manifold was toast. I gutted that one and the one closest to the manifold on the passenger side as well. At this point the jeep ran great. All the like 50 horspowers back pulled great on the highway again. But the issue I'm in now is with oil consumption. I'm at 200 miles since I last changed the oil. And today I had it in the shop just to tinker around and cure boredom. I checked the level on the stick and it wasn't even showing. Really only 200 miles?? And it's just gone? So I added 2 qts and it's still about 2 under full.... that's 4 quarts gone in 200 miles. No smoke from exhaust even on cold starts. I have looked in every nook and cranny under around up and down and dont see a single leak. I'm stumped. Its throwing codes for the cats I gutted and the sensors surrounding but that's it on codes. And another i can't explain is at idle she purrs like a kitten, but if I revv it between 2k to 2500 rpm or cruise a low speed where the trans hasn't shifted yet around 2k rpm theres a pretty loud ticking noise. But only around 2k rpm otherwise its non existent. In neutral or under load. Any ideas?????

Last edited by Rmbauti405; 12-26-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Sloppy rushed post at first. Re did the whole post
Old 12-26-2019, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Btw I'm now at 125 k miles and changed to 5w30 on my most recent oil change. Wix xp filter.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Could be a main seal leak. Check your tranny fluid to see if there's oil in it.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

It's an outo wouldn't it just build up in and leak out of the bell housing?
Old 12-27-2019, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Little update good compression on all 6 cylinder all surrounding 170 to 175 psi. Drove 143 miles since I stopped off oil and its lacking 2 quarts.. I dont get it.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:19 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb

That's a pretty bad drinking problem -- Here's some thoughts: If it isn't leaking oil, it's burning it. If it's burning oil, the most likely paths are oil control rings, compression rings, intake valve guides, PCV, and possibly the lower intake manifold gasket.

A remote possibility is exhaust valve guides, but I think with the back pressure of cats it would be hard to imagine leaking that much oil into the exhaust.

For the rings, I'd try amsoil engine flush with it 1+ quarts down (so it's more concentrated). Refill with 5w-40 or hi-mileage 5w-30 (amsoil efm is what I'm currently using). If it's still has a drinking problem, go with el cheapo brands.

For the PCV, replace with a mopar one. Make sure it's seated about 3/16" below the lip on the valve cover They can pop up and be loose, but the engine actually doesn't run that bad -- the top of the PCV will seal on the hose with enough vacuum (symptoms would be same as an intermittent stuck open PCV). PCV's can be finicky and manufactured with an incorrect calibration too. Check the fresh air breather hose on the passenger valve cover to air filter -- If it's dripping oil there is a lot of blowby that's not going through the PCV (either too much blowby or a low flowing PCV).

I'd check the plugs -- Are they all oily, or are some clean? Valve guides and rings are cylinder specific, the PCV affects all cylinders. You've already done compressions, but didn't mention condition of the plugs. That level of burning should leave some evidence on the plugs.

Pull off the throttle body and look inside the intake. They're all oily inside, but at that level of consumption it may be obvious if the oil is entering the intake first. Look inside the rubber intake hose from the filter housing, oil here would come from the breather hose to the passenger side valve cover.

Good luck on this, stay in touch...

One last thought, and it's a crazy one -- Someone sucking or draining oil out to screw with you.

Last edited by Mr.T; 12-28-2019 at 06:40 AM. Reason: added paragraph regarding exhaust valve guides
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (01-11-2020)
Old 12-28-2019, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmbauti405
It's an outo wouldn't it just build up in and leak out of the bell housing?
I currently have a leak, just not as severe as yours.

Anyways during my research, I found this video which was pretty helpful with the diagnosis. He describes what you would see if there is a RMS leak vs. the oil pan adapter plate seal leak. When the weather warms up in my area, that's where I'm going to start in diagnosing if I have a RMS leak or an an oil pan adapter seal leak. The oil pan adapter seal seems to be a pretty common problem with an associated TSB, where I'm currently crossing my fingers that is where my problem is happening. One of those may be your problem as well is what I'm suspecting.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-28-2019 at 06:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rednroll:
Mr.T (12-28-2019), Rmbauti405 (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Appreciate responses. 2 plugs had a little oil on them when I pulled them. And the hose on the passenger vc was clean. But the hose for the pcv was pretty nasty and wet.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

I just got a new pcv about to replace that and on the way to town I noticed it I get on it a little like on the on ramp for I stance I can smell oil burning. I still dont see there being no smoke burning as much as it is as quick as it does.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Seen oil coming from rear lower intake gasket as well as drips of coolant in the front. Replaced that gasket been just over 100 miles since. Still a quart gone in 100 miles. Debating going back to a wrx and getting rid of the jeep tbh.

Quick Reply: No leaks, no smoke, wheres my oil going???