Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Nitrogeon in tires make a great Ride

Old 06-12-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BaltChief
To all the N2 naysayers.....there are benefits to using N2 in your tires.

Now, to be fair, if you air up and down allot it will not be cost prohibitive. When using it in your DD car it is very beneficial. Compressed air consists of 21% oxygen which is very volitale to tempature.

You don't believe me? Try this....

Put N2 in your left front tire and leave compressed air in your right front....make sure both are at the same pressure...now go for a drive on the highway for a 100 miles and stop and take your pressure again. You will find that the N2 tire is at the same temp as it was when you left, meaning no excess wear on your tires.....your right tire will now be 2 to 3 or more psi higher....Why do you think race cars use it? They need the same pressure for handling problems.

Now for a Jeeper....3#'s of pressure can make a world of difference in the ride...so what one needs to decide is how they use the vehicle......this would determine if N2 is a good idea or a waste of money. For the average everyday car, it is a great idea.....not so sure for the average Jeeper.....my 2 cents
It's a joke, N2 has less moisture than 02, heated moisture expands and can change the psi of a tire. Nascar uses N2 because they drive heavy cars and stress the tires causing extreme amounts of heat, this heat causes the psi to change and in Nascar 1 psi can change the car. There is far less stress on a street driven car/truck and a psi or two will make very little change so for the $60 they charge they are selling you snake oil. But it's your money, I would suggest checking you psi when you rotate your tires every 5k and save your money.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MACHZ
It's a joke, N2 has less moisture than 02, heated moisture expands and can change the psi of a tire. Nascar uses N2 because they drive heavy cars and stress the tires causing extreme amounts of heat, this heat causes the psi to change and in Nascar 1 psi can change the car. There is far less stress on a street driven car/truck and a psi or two will make very little change so for the $60 they charge they are selling you snake oil. But it's your money, I would suggest checking you psi when you rotate your tires every 5k and save your money.
Uhhhhhh ok.....

A Nascar weighs in at about 3000#'s......I think that is a bit less than the average family sedan.....

I am sorry that I dissagree with your assesment....but you can believe whatever you want. I still say for the avge Jeeper.....it is a waste. For the family car if you drive allot, very worth it.

This is just my opinion, and if you take my test you will see it is true. So yes it is a joke.....but 3#'s is huge on a family vehicle with low profile tires when handling is a concern.....so its a fact based joke
Old 06-12-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Uhhhhhh ok.....

A Nascar weighs in at about 3000#'s......I think that is a bit less than the average family sedan.....

I am sorry that I dissagree with your assesment....but you can believe whatever you want. I still say for the avge Jeeper.....it is a waste. For the family car if you drive allot, very worth it.

This is just my opinion, and if you take my test you will see it is true. So yes it is a joke.....but 3#'s is huge on a family vehicle with low profile tires when handling is a concern.....so its a fact based joke

So you think a daily driven car puts more stress on the tire than a car going 200+ on a oval track?? So I'm guessing you get your facts from a N2 dealer charging $60 as 1-2 psi makes almost no diff in a street driven car most tire guages differ 1-2 psi so trying to keep a tire exactly at a given psi is a waste of time.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

3,000lbs w/ alot more downforce don't forget.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's all snake oil. It's just one more gimmick to take your money. As stated previously, our atmosphere is already 78% nitrogen. That leaves only 22% other stuff. JUST 22%!!!!!! That's ALL. And the rest of us get thea nitrogen rich mixture for FREE while those of you who've been sucked into the LIE are paying for it. Do yourself a favor and spend the money somewhere else. You'll be glad you did.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
You really notice a ride difference?

Here's a site that might help explain that claim (and many other nitrogen questions):

powertank.com/truth.or.hype/

Everything stated in that link is valid. (I am a Ph.D. chemist; not bragging, just saying it for credibility; that link did a nice controlled experiment and I believe the results)

Save your money.

More pragmatically: are long-haul truck drivers using it? if it saved money on gas or wheels/tires wouldn't they benefit most?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
... And the rest of us get thea nitrogen rich mixture for FREE while those of you who've been sucked into the LIE are paying for it. ...
TANSTAAFL! Oh wait, that was on the moon, wasn't it (no free air there!)?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now, to be fair, if you air up and down allot it will not be cost prohibitive. When using it in your DD car it is very beneficial. Compressed air consists of 21% oxygen which is very volitale to tempature.

Put N2 in your left front tire and leave compressed air in your right front....make sure both are at the same pressure...now go for a drive on the highway for a 100 miles and stop and take your pressure again. You will find that the N2 tire is at the same temp as it was when you left, meaning no excess wear on your tires.....your right tire will now be 2 to 3 or more psi higher....Why do you think race cars use it? They need the same pressure for handling problems.

Now for a Jeeper....3#'s of pressure can make a world of difference in the ride...so what one needs to decide is how they use the vehicle......this would determine if N2 is a good idea or a waste of money. For the average everyday car, it is a great idea.....not so sure for the average Jeeper.....my 2 cents
Oh yeah. 2-3 more PSI. Gimmie a break! So, pneumatic tires have been using atmosphere for over a hundred years with no problems and nitrogen comes along to solve all those problems we've not had. How stupid does that sound??? 2-3 PSI. You gotta be kiddin me.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I did this exact thing last summer when I 1st got my Jeep. Came from dealer with Nitrogen only. I and my brother in law were discussing it and I saw someone online mention something like this. Before a 90 mile trip to our lake house in >90 degree weather, 1 front tire drained twice and refilled with air to the same pressure as the Nitrogen filled tire. after the trip--mostly highway driving--guess what------both tires incresed by 2 psi. exactly the same. So, maybe in another vehicle or tire it might help, but not in my stock Rubi tires.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The Nirtogen war comes down to this:

Technically, everything said about the benefits of nitrogen in tires is true.

Practically, automotive use is not close enough to the edge of performance to reap those benefits.

The best improvements you can make to your tires is to keep them properly inflated and rotated on a regular schedule.
Neither one NEEDS to include pure nitrogen.

Quick Reply: Nitrogeon in tires make a great Ride