Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Nitrogeon in tires make a great Ride

Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrogeon in tires make a great Ride

I was at the dealer today ordering the new top for my rig (under warranty) and they just recieved this morning a Bosch Nitrogeon machine that connects all 4 tires (optional is for the spare) at one time and it empties and inflates the tires on your car a couple of times untill you have 100% nitro in your tires. Apparently the machine which is about $8,000 makes it's own nitro. Not bad I must say so myself. So I and the service manager were the guinea pigs to see if there was any change at all and the only thing I noticed was that the ride got a little softer. Don't ask me why but that was the only difference I saw so far. I will keep you guys posted if the gas mileage changes too. I hope !!!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are it's only softer because they did not fill the tires to the higher pressure you had before. If this is true you gas millage will go down due to the larger tire contact patch on the road. The only benefit from Nitro in the tires is that nitro is less susceptible to changes in tire pressure due to heat. The BIG disadvantage is that if you air down at the trail head how are you going air back up with nitro? That can become expensive really quick.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was already a thread on this. This is just my opinion, but nitro is a huge waste of money. Air is already 78% nitrogen. The benefits gleaned from nitrogen are less susceptible to extreme temp changes and leaks slower (all tires leak slowly). The problem with this is you will never put your JK through extremes enough to benefit from it (unless you live north of the arctic circle in which case I stand corrected). It is used primarily in the aviation field, and in racing, not really needed for highway driving.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
There was already a thread on this. This is just my opinion, but nitro is a huge waste of money. Air is already 78% nitrogen. The benefits gleaned from nitrogen are less susceptible to extreme temp changes and leaks slower (all tires leak slowly). The problem with this is you will never put your JK through extremes enough to benefit from it (unless you live north of the arctic circle in which case I stand corrected). It is used primarily in the aviation field, and in racing, not really needed for highway driving.
totally agree!!!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really notice a ride difference?

Here's a site that might help explain that claim (and many other nitrogen questions):

powertank.com/truth.or.hype/
Old 06-11-2009, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have to be a very lucky guy because my cousin is the mechanic there so I got to play with the machine myself and according to the door on my rig 35psi is what I am supposed to put in and thats what I put in. I also don't get to air down when I off road on the beach because there is no filling station. Although I see your point. Also you are right the stealership my cousin works for just got this machine today and they plan to charge the public $60.00 to get this done. Now thats a rip off !!!! But like I said I didn't pay that, and I got to play with the machine myself. Hence the guinea pig price (FREE). But like I said before it did ride differently, we'll see the differences later on I will keep you guys posted.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the biggest benefit of nitro is to those who sell it
Old 06-12-2009, 05:37 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Now this is a good nitrogen thread, especially posts #2 & #3.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

To all the N2 naysayers.....there are benefits to using N2 in your tires.

Now, to be fair, if you air up and down allot it will not be cost prohibitive. When using it in your DD car it is very beneficial. Compressed air consists of 21% oxygen which is very volitale to tempature.

You don't believe me? Try this....

Put N2 in your left front tire and leave compressed air in your right front....make sure both are at the same pressure...now go for a drive on the highway for a 100 miles and stop and take your pressure again. You will find that the N2 tire is at the same temp as it was when you left, meaning no excess wear on your tires.....your right tire will now be 2 to 3 or more psi higher....Why do you think race cars use it? They need the same pressure for handling problems.

Now for a Jeeper....3#'s of pressure can make a world of difference in the ride...so what one needs to decide is how they use the vehicle......this would determine if N2 is a good idea or a waste of money. For the average everyday car, it is a great idea.....not so sure for the average Jeeper.....my 2 cents
Old 06-12-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

I like Helium! It's almost like my jeep...floats up the trails......and I get 90mpg since it's so light......sorry kidding. We used it on fighters my entire career because it expands less with heat. But it still expands. I've used it in my Modified Lancia Delta integrale 16v, but it didn't make any difference to me for times or handling. Now WRC where they water spray brakes to cool em down they are reaching dang high temps. the ceramic discs glow so there it would be important.

260hp 247ft lbs torque. 2511lbs balanced on scales @ cg point with half tank of gas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lancia_front.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	25438

Click image for larger version

Name:	lancia_profile.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	25439

Last edited by sin52; 06-12-2009 at 06:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Nitrogeon in tires make a great Ride