Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New wheels for 2008 JK?

Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... for whoever doesn't know what these sensors are. They are not the type as descibed by someone else here... they do not use wheel speed to determine a low tire. You actually have a sensor in the wheel. It measure the air pressure in the tire. If you loose X% of air from the manufacturers recomended air pressure an idiot light will light up on the dash. These are a fed requirement for all cars and trucks from 2008 on. If you own an 08 or newer, You have them. You can run without them but... in most states at your inspection they plug into your OBD2 port. If the monitor or any other system trouble is activated... your Jeep fails inspection.

Now for swapping them over to new wheels. If you look.. most wheels have a channel that the valve stem sits in. The sesors sit in that channel on the inside of the wheel attached to your valve stem. If you remove the valve stem core to deflate your tires... you need to replace the core. Any tire shop should have a new installation kit for the sensors. you need a set of gaskets as well when you swap them. The sensors will NOT fit in all aftermarket wheels correctly. I have the Craggar soft 8's. they fit in there with very little clearance issues.

One other note for you all who have the sensors. When you install them on your new wheels. ask the tire shop to balance the wheel before installing the tire. They can use sticky weights on the inside of the rim to do this. Installing that sensor is going to make your rims off balance quite a bit. Which will mean even more wheel weights than normal on your oversized tires. I use traditional balancing(weights on both sides of the rim) instead of the more popular sticky weights on the back of the rim. The sticky weights are a pain in the A** to get off when rebalancing. The traditional ones are quick and easy to rebalance. Yeah you can knock them off offroading ... but... your gonna spin the tire on the rim when low pressure rock crawling.. as well as taking out big chunks of tread. So... the tire balance will be F**** anyway. And if your worried about the fininish of the wheel.... KEEP IT ON THE ROAD...and leave the wheeling to the big boys....LOL
Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
They won't have a pressure sensor. They will use the wheel speed sensors that feed data to ABS and the ESP. It will detect a wheel with a different speed differential, (faster turning, due to less diameter) to determine low pressure. It is really just a software change.
B/S. Each wheel has a sensor. They can easily be changed to aftermarket wheels. They did it for me, and I know it works. Talk to your local tire/wheel shop to verify.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I replace a damaged wheel during the course of repairs on a wrecked vehicle, I simply unscrew the stem nut on the sensor and reinstall it on the new wheel. In one year of changing the things over I haven't yet run into a leaking gasket issue. I make sure the key is not cycled on or off while the wheel is off the vehicle so once the new wheel/tire combo is installed with comparable tire pressure the system won't know its been off. That way the vehicle doesn't have to be operated for a while to reread and reset the warning lamp.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
They won't have a pressure sensor. They will use the wheel speed sensors that feed data to ABS and the ESP. It will detect a wheel with a different speed differential, (faster turning, due to less diameter) to determine low pressure. It is really just a software change.
Sorry, but this just ain't so. Each wheel has an AIR PRESSURE sensor that sends signals via RF (radio frequency) to the computer telling the computer when tire pressure is low. Where you got your info, Heaven only knows, but it was WRONG.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
Ok... for whoever doesn't know what these sensors are. They are not the type as descibed by someone else here... they do not use wheel speed to determine a low tire. You actually have a sensor in the wheel. It measure the air pressure in the tire. If you loose X% of air from the manufacturers recomended air pressure an idiot light will light up on the dash. These are a fed requirement for all cars and trucks from 2008 on. If you own an 08 or newer, You have them. You can run without them but... in most states at your inspection they plug into your OBD2 port. If the monitor or any other system trouble is activated... your Jeep fails inspection.

Now for swapping them over to new wheels. If you look.. most wheels have a channel that the valve stem sits in. The sesors sit in that channel on the inside of the wheel attached to your valve stem. If you remove the valve stem core to deflate your tires... you need to replace the core. Any tire shop should have a new installation kit for the sensors. you need a set of gaskets as well when you swap them. The sensors will NOT fit in all aftermarket wheels correctly. I have the Craggar soft 8's. they fit in there with very little clearance issues.

One other note for you all who have the sensors. When you install them on your new wheels. ask the tire shop to balance the wheel before installing the tire. They can use sticky weights on the inside of the rim to do this. Installing that sensor is going to make your rims off balance quite a bit. Which will mean even more wheel weights than normal on your oversized tires. I use traditional balancing(weights on both sides of the rim) instead of the more popular sticky weights on the back of the rim. The sticky weights are a pain in the A** to get off when rebalancing. The traditional ones are quick and easy to rebalance. Yeah you can knock them off offroading ... but... your gonna spin the tire on the rim when low pressure rock crawling.. as well as taking out big chunks of tread. So... the tire balance will be F**** anyway. And if your worried about the fininish of the wheel.... KEEP IT ON THE ROAD...and leave the wheeling to the big boys....LOL
Thank you! Exactly the kind of information I was looking for....again, Mahalo!

Quick Reply: New wheels for 2008 JK?