Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New wheels for 2008 JK?

Old 08-30-2007, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mustangpro
I hate those things!! On my wife's 05 4Runner the low tire pressure light came lit up on the dash. After inflating all 4 tires to spec the light was still on. Just for the heck of it I dropped the spare, and wouldn't you know it. It also had a sensor. So I filled up the spare to spec and the light went finally off. Man was I pissed!! Glad my JK ain't got 'em!
Correct me if I'm wrong here. You were pissed that a safety feature on your vehicle notified you that your spare tire was low, so that if you had needed to use it, it would work? Yeah, I can see why you're angry.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, had to add a mind blowing, leave me stranded, call AAA, whopping 2 lbs of air. Woohoo!!

I'm sure the sensor also alerts you when it's time to change the air in your spare.

Last edited by mustangpro; 08-30-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 PM
-

i dont like them, but i neither like seatbelts or airbags...or doors... but we gotta have em.
some things are just good to have and not need.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mustangpro
Yep, had to add a mind blowing, leave me stranded, call AAA, whopping 2 lbs of air. Woohoo!!
I didn't say you needed a ton. But you wouldn't have known if it need 2 or 20 lbs without the sensor.

I'm sure the sensor also alerts you when it's time to change the air in your spare.
Not sure who this is directed at.

The only thing I would want the sensor to do is tell you the actual PSI, instead of just saying LOW or NOT LOW.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:45 AM
JK Newbie

In my last vehicle the sensors were in the valve stems. The car read them with some type of wireless setup. Every time I bought new tires, I had to tell the tire guy to reuse the valve stems for everything to keep working with the tire pressure system. I did forget this one time and the damn light on the dash stayed on until I sold the car! If it turns out to be in the valve stem on the 08s, the pressure system might not be a problem for those wanting to go to bigger tires.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK people. It appears we agree there are sensors. Now back to my original question:
How much and how easy is it to move these sensors to some after market wheels? And, is there a reason (other than cost) I would not want to do this?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Having not seen the sensors DC uses, I can only go by Ford and Chevy, Fords have to be strapped to the wheel (place I work for does this on new wheels) and on Chevys they are attached to the valve stem. we do both, the Chevy system is easier to install and replace from the looks of it, that damned strapping is a pian in teh arse to deal with. Dunno how easy it is to move the ford ones thou. I think cut the strap and restrap them to new wheels. I have had to get some from the ford house for a set of wheels and tires we were sending them.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUMP! Can anyone shed more light on this? Need to know info prior to having my tires mounted.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greggradwohl
OK people. It appears we agree there are sensors. Now back to my original question:
How much and how easy is it to move these sensors to some after market wheels? And, is there a reason (other than cost) I would not want to do this?
It's REAL easy to do. The sensors will fit in almost EVERY wheel made......BUT, there are some issues with some wheels with interference between the sensor and the tire bead, making it all but impossible to mount the tire with the sensor installed. You just kinda have to see if they'll fit by trial and error. You need to also know this. It is FEDERAL LAW that those sensors be installed. You can thank Firestone for makin crappy tires for that law. So, with that in mind, it will be tough to trade or sell without the sensors. Also, it will NOT pass an inspection unless the sensors are installed.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

I mangled a valve stem/sensor at Moab not long ago and didnt know a thing about the sensor at the time. All I knew was that the stem was made out of some alloy and not rubber. Anyway, the tire dealer replaced it w/ a rubber one (all he had) and swapped the tire/wheel with the spare. The dash light stayed on for awhile but then went off.

The sensor required the tire be removed from the wheel for valve steam replacement. It then looks to be easy to move the sensor/valvestem from one wheel to the next.

Also, I have since put on new wheels and tires. Since I will be using the stock wheels/tires for 3 mo of the year I left the sensors in them. So as not to be driving around w/ the yellow dash light on all the time, I bought new sensors for the new wheels. They were $40 ea. from 4WD Hardware. The tire dealer wanted $70ea. No one ever mentioned they would work in some wheels and not others....and no one ever mentioned that big brother would somehow know if I didnt have them in my new wheels...

I bet you could pull'em, move'em, swap'em, whatever. It doesnt seem to be a big deal what so ever.

Quick Reply: New wheels for 2008 JK?