Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New wheels for 2008 JK?

Old 08-27-2007, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wheels for 2008 JK?

As I understand it, the 08s have a tire pressure sensor (detects if tire is low/flat).

How much and how easy is it to move these sensors to some after market wheels? And, is there a reason (other than cost) I would not want to do this?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by greggradwohl
As I understand it, the 08s have a tire pressure sensor (detects if tire is low/flat).

How much and how easy is it to move these sensors to some after market wheels? And, is there a reason (other than cost) I would not want to do this?
Sorry I can't help you to say how easy it is, but I can tell you it has been done. These sensors are not exactly new. They have been out on the Dodge Avenger (which came out as an early '08 model) for 5 months or so. Some dude I know started fooling with them on day one, swapping wheels etc. I emailed him your question and will post the response as soon as I get it.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dubya
Sorry I can't help you to say how easy it is, but I can tell you it has been done. These sensors are not exactly new. They have been out on the Dodge Avenger (which came out as an early '08 model) for 5 months or so. Some dude I know started fooling with them on day one, swapping wheels etc. I emailed him your question and will post the response as soon as I get it.
That would be appreciated, Dubya.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by greggradwohl

They won't have a pressure sensor. They will use the wheel speed sensors that feed data to ABS and the ESP. It will detect a wheel with a different speed differential, (faster turning, due to less diameter) to determine low pressure. It is really just a software change.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil
They won't have a pressure sensor. They will use the wheel speed sensors that feed data to ABS and the ESP. It will detect a wheel with a different speed differential, (faster turning, due to less diameter) to determine low pressure. It is really just a software change.
Are you certain of this? I have "heard" a bunch of different places there is a sensor in the 08s. I hope you are correct.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

There are sensors in the wheels on 08s. If you put wheels on that do not have the sensors, the light appears on the dash.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hate those things!! On my wife's 05 4Runner the low tire pressure light came lit up on the dash. After inflating all 4 tires to spec the light was still on. Just for the heck of it I dropped the spare, and wouldn't you know it. It also had a sensor. So I filled up the spare to spec and the light went finally off. Man was I pissed!! Glad my JK ain't got 'em!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Were these not an option on the 07 models? I thought it was an option for the Sahara and Rubi. Maybe I am wrong though. If so, does anyone with them on the 07 have new wheels and tires?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nope, not an option with 07's. 08 is the first year for Wranglers.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ah, must have been the 07 commanders. My wife looked at those. They have the tire pressure monitors?

Quick Reply: New wheels for 2008 JK?