Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

new torque converter!

Old 05-15-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't gotten to drive my wife's new JK much yet, but did notice a pretty significant shudder in reverse.

What are the symptoms of a faulty torque converter?

Has Auto w/ 4.10.... Drives like a slug in my opinion, unlike my old Auto '87 Wrangler. Seems to need more gear even with the stock 32"s.

I had just chalked it up to Jeep "personality"...... my wife loves it to much to know any better.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Go to the Stock JK Tech section. In the top listed threads there is a TSB thread - click on that. In that first post, there is a link to Jeep JK Wrangler TSB & Recall Information" - click on that. Scroll down to the TSB dated 02-10-2007. It gives a brief description about a "shudder". It basically feels like you are driving over rumble strips. Mine usually happens once I get past 30mph, then coast for a little, then slowly press on the gas again to maintain the speed.

I can't help you about the reverse thing and I love my JK too much to bad mouth the sluggish thing. My wife said the same thing about it being a slug as she merged onto the I-95 one day. I told her the accelerator is on the right, works fine for me. I know I didn't buy a sports car, didn't want one. I wanted the JK.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm guessing I might have a problem with mine too. You ever feel like you are going to stall when you stop at a light and sit at idle for a while? I don't think its as stall bug thing though. It only happens once and a while but I also get the rumble strip thing when I'm going about 30 and coast a while and then get back on the gas.

Quick Reply: new torque converter!