Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

new torque converter!

Old 05-02-2007, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new torque converter!

Has Anyone had the new factory torque converter installed yet ? Does it improve shift quality? I dont have any shudder problems. However the shifting
quality on my automatic is very poor! [IT SUCKS!} Yes I had it flashed but its still the same.
THANKS!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default Anyone

Can anyone answer my question?????
Old 05-03-2007, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matty P
Has Anyone had the new factory torque converter installed yet ? Does it improve shift quality? I dont have any shudder problems. However the shifting
quality on my automatic is very poor! [IT SUCKS!} Yes I had it flashed but its still the same.
THANKS!
That's why I didn't get the automatic. Test drove it and hated it. Sorry this didn't answer your question.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the flash too, but no new torque converter. Don't think the torque converter would change anything. The problem is that the shift points are hosed. My bet is that this is so DCX can meet it's CAFE standards. I think we will have to wait for the aftermarket to solve our tranny problems. Call Hypertech and ask nice.....I did. the more of us who express an interest in their product the more likely they will be to quickly develop a programmer for our JKs.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have always had autos in my XJs (AW4 is a great auto) but these post make me second guess getting an auto in the JK. I know the 42re (or whatever) is a weak tranny, but if it doesn't shift well and all that plus being weak I may just buy a manual. Maybe the 08s will differ?

However I drove a new 07 with auto and it felt fine to me.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't wanna start any crap but there appears to be alot of 6 spd issues also!!! shifter boot loose, some sort of rattle, can't shift between gears at certain temps.... Not to say which is better or anything.... LOL
Old 05-04-2007, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZachMan
I have always had autos in my XJs (AW4 is a great auto) but these post make me second guess getting an auto in the JK. I know the 42re (or whatever) is a weak tranny, but if it doesn't shift well and all that plus being weak I may just buy a manual. Maybe the 08s will differ?

However I drove a new 07 with auto and it felt fine to me.
Gotta live with it a while to truly hate it. Felt fine to me on the thirty second test drive.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Its going to the dealer today for the new torque converter Ill let you guys know the result when i drive it home.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

I took mine in to get flashed. they test drove it after and said it didnt fix it so i got a new torque converter. it shifts firmer. and i get 19 to 22 MPG now instead of 14. although it took them two days to put it in the guy never worked on one before. so i got stuck in that so called jeep they call commander for the weekend. its no cherokee! glad to see it go. anyways i could feel the diffrence in the new converter.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

My dealership ordered me a new torque converter yesterday. It should be installed next week.

Quick Reply: new torque converter!