Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New serpentine belt

Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New serpentine belt

Just replaced the serpentine belt @ 65,000 miles. I'm a believer in doing maintenance on a routine basis. Allthough it hadn't failed, I started thinking how many times it has turned over in 65,000 miles. The Gates (K060900) belt was $30 from Oreilly auto parts. I also watched it being put on and in order to take the tension off the belt to remove or install, buy a $5 3/8 drive rachet set from Harbor freight and use the rachet and 3' extension as a leverage tool by putting the naked extension in the square hole on the tensioner and push down like a breaker bar. I kept the old belt as an emergency spare and put the rachet and extension with it. Lose one on the trail in Montana with no one around for 50 miles and it's cheap insurance for peace of mind.

IT SHOULD SAY "3 inch extension" instead of 3 foot. I know it would be implied, but wanted to give the right information.

Last edited by IBJEEPN; 04-21-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go, I never throw away used parts if they could still be use for emergency parts.

Quick Reply: New serpentine belt