Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New owner in Japan (with question already)

Old 01-31-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner in Japan (with question already)

Hi, I'm new on this forum. Just bought a new 2012 Wrangler Arctic Unlimited and expecting to receive it later this week. I live in Tokyo and previous car was a 2001 Pajero. I have a question for those of you who make changes to your Jeep. I am looking for power folding side mirrors. Note that I don't want them for off-roading. It's just that it is pretty common to come across very narrow streets in Japan, where two cars passing have to slow to a crawl and edge past each other - closing mirrors both as a courtesy, and to make sure you don't scrape the other car, or damage your left one on a guard rail, or such.
You might be interested that the Jeeps here come with pre-installed side camera, a small camera built into the bottom mount of the left side mirror, and a monitor built into the left side door panel. This is so you have no blind spot when parking (rear view camera for backing up also built in, though that image appears in the Navi monitor), or making such tight passes.
Anyway, looking forward to getting the new Arctic and taking it to the mountains in Nagano the first weekend. If anyone knows where I might be able to order such power folding side mirrors, or has put them on their Wrangler - I would really appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Hate to tell you no such mod exsists. You bought a wrangler, one of the most optionless vehicles out there.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

My mirrors really don't stick out past the fender flails if you look at it from the back.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

yeah, no power option for folding the side mirrors in but you can manually fold them in though. I do it all the time when parking out in streets because there are some truck drivers out there that do target for them.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the fast feedback. I'll take a closer look when I pick it up, if as you say the mirrors don't stick out beyond the side fenders then I don't have a problem at all. And, though parking is pretty tight here, I've never had a ding at a parking lot. In Tokyo parking is scarce enough that you can't buy a car without proof (certified by the police dept.) that you have an owned or rented parking space within 2 Kms of your home...
Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by casper03
Thanks for the fast feedback. I'll take a closer look when I pick it up, if as you say the mirrors don't stick out beyond the side fenders then I don't have a problem at all. And, though parking is pretty tight here, I've never had a ding at a parking lot. In Tokyo parking is scarce enough that you can't buy a car without proof (certified by the police dept.) that you have an owned or rented parking space within 2 Kms of your home...
That's pretty stringent laws! There'd be an uproar here in the states.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 PM
JK Super Freak

I recall back in the 90s any jeep there needed to have that ugly full fender/ front bumper unit due to laws stating you had to have full wheel coverage
Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by orangedude71
I recall back in the 90s any jeep there needed to have that ugly full fender/ front bumper unit due to laws stating you had to have full wheel coverage

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4214535150.png
Views:	344
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	272900

To illustrate
Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2890158885.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	272902

It looks like this ( I'd I did the attachment correctly)
Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by casper03
Attachment 272902

It looks like this ( I'd I did the attachment correctly)
nothing a hacksaw couldnt fix.. Just keep an eye out for the Keisatsu

Quick Reply: New owner in Japan (with question already)