Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New MT MTZs. My thoughts.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New MT MTZs. My thoughts.

I finally pulled the trigger on a new set of tires. Went with 33x 12.50x 17. I had thought about Nitto Trail Grappler, Toyo Open Country MT, and MT MTZs. I went with the MTs. Thanks to all the folks who helped with the decision!

For those folks considering a new new tire set here is my thoughts on the MT MTZs.

The Positive.....they look BAD A$$!!! IMHO, The side biter lugs look better than any other tire's sidewall. In comparison, If you look at the Nittos, that tire has a seam on the side wall that looks odd to me.

The tread is beefy and appropriately aggressive. The 33x 12.50 size has a nice width to height ratio that just looks good.

Good road manners without excessive tread squirm or sloppy turn in... Very nice behavior on road. Haven't had them into any sig offroad yet. Just a few mud holes that the tires handled without issue.

I only lost a minor 2 MPGs for a much more substantial tire over stock.

The Negative..... The noise factor. These bad boys have some hum. Others have stated no difference from stock OEM BFG MTs. I disagree. It isn't terrible but on the highway they do howl. It takes sig volume on the radio to block the noise. Just be aware. Perhaps a stock width may be quieter but this particualr size is loud.

Hope this helps others who may be making a similar decision.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What did they say about tread life on these bad boys
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I am considering these tires for my JKU. Have any pics?

Quick Reply: New MT MTZs. My thoughts.