Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New Key/fob

Old 03-29-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why I oughtta.....
Old 03-29-2012, 11:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I went to Ace Hardware with one of my factory keys, and $75 later I had a transponder key cut and programmed. Figured it was better if the risk was on them (rather than taking a chance on E-Bay).
Yes, the alarm will go off, but once you insert the key and turn it on, alarm goes off, so no big deal (as who the hell comes running when a car alarm goes off, right?)
Or you can program the alarm to not sound.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default The way I got 2 additional spare keys...

This isn't the solution for the original lost key but is how I got 2 more keys for my 2012 JK. My JK did not have remote start installed at the factory--curiously the only option on my JKU Sahara not on the vehicle--which was an option I wanted. I ordered the factory remote start kit from my dealer for $200 (same cost as it would have been if installed at factory) and had it installed for an additional $250. When the job was done, I had two new keys with a remote start button and the two original keys (without remote start button) to use as a additional spares. I see the $200 for the remote kit as the same os what I would have paid if the kit was installed during original vehicle assembly. Not free or cheap by any means, but for the additional $250 of installation I got 2 keys at a savings of about $150. This math only works if you want to install the remote start and actually considered a 3rd and 4th key as spare-t worked for me since I wanted the remote start and at least another key.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an older thread on the same subject.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ing-spare-keys

To do it yourself, you must have two keys.

For those of you who have not yet lost a key, do this now while you have two keys. Make at least one spare.
ikeyless is a reputable source for keys.
Ace Hardware will cut them for a couple bucks.

And as suggested above, get a couple cheap, blank, metal keys and cut them for your doors. Keep in wallet, purse, other useful emergency place in case you lock yourself out with the real key inside.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Transponder Chip Ignition Keys

Inexpensive Transponder Chip Keys are available here, and they are made in the USA!

Transponder Chip Ignition Keys for Jeep Sale

Easy to follow directions for self programming are in your owners manual.

You MUST have 2 working transponder chip keys first, to program additional keys (up to 8 keys). The 2 working keys can be original keys or replacement keys, as long as they work correctly with your vehicle.

These are un-cut transponder key blanks, and you take it to your local hardware store or locksmith to cut it to match your vehicle. My hardware store cut it for free, but expect to pay a few dollars to cut.

Mabar
Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ that place, or ikeyless. ikeyless has the blanks with remote/power button fobs, too. with or without the electronics (i.e., shells).
Old 06-08-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the misses managed to break her key off in the ignition. I managed to get it out with my knife but the dealership wants $240 for a new key. The shop manager finally came down to $150. I found replacement keys for around $10 that use your electronics. I think I'm going to order one and see how it goes.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Ace Hardware says they can make a sopare for me using the one key I have and replicate its signal. Something in thr $60 area if I remember correctly.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

dont want to start another thread so i'll ask here. I got only one key when i got my jeep. It was the keyless entry one. I want to get another keyless entry one made, and by reading this the only way is to get it through the dealer at this point, because you need 2 keys to DIY?? If thats right, what does the dealer do that we can't, if anyone knows? O Yea and if I get another key made at the dealer can it be just the transponder key, buy and program a keyless entry one later with just the transponer key and the keyless entry that i'll have?
Thanks

Last edited by JeepN_Mike; 06-08-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I was told by a guy at Chrysler that they reprogram the Jeep, your old key, and a new key.

Quick Reply: New Key/fob