Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

NEW JK OWNER, some questions/issues...

Old 03-10-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW JK OWNER, some questions/issues...

Ok, i bought an 08 JK X (unlimited) in December 07... i'm a long time XJ and CJ owner and i love the JK, but there are a few issues that you guys can probably help me with.
First of all, when i lock the doors with my keyless, the driver door does not lock... the interior manual switch flips to the "lock" poisition but i can still open it from the outside and when i do the alarm goes off... i assume this isnt normal and should be covered under warrany.
Secondly, my soft top is in a really awkward position when flipped all the way down. I'll attach a pic here. It came with 4 straps and super crappy instructions as to how to hold it into place... as for now i've resorted to hooking the straps together and rigging it to where it's tied to the roll cage.
Lastly, when i start the engine, it seems like i can hear the fan spinning,engine knocking, or something knocking for about 3 seconds then it goes away... anyone else notice this? Is it an engine issue or exhause issue? It's not loud but just noticeable enought to get my attention... and it only happens when the engine is cold...
I think that does it for now, any help is appreciated!

PS: as far as the "lifetime" warranty goes... anyone know what the catches are? Is it void if i modiy my suspension but not driveshaft?

TIA,
Jeremy

Here's the image of my soft top in the 'down' position
[/URL]
Old 03-10-2008, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

First Question: That sounds like an issue that the dealership needs to fix

Second Question: Go here http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/soft_t...oft_top_guide/

Third Question: I have not had this issue where I live in winter. How cold does it get where you are?

Fourth Question: If a modification that was done after market is the cause of an issue then it will not be covered. But it has to be proven that the after market mod caused the fault.

For example: If you put in a lift and tire, and your radio stops working then you are still under warranty.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

The keyless remote issue sounds like a hardware issue in the door itself. This is what happens when you have a vehicle that's been designed to have it's doors taken off for decades and then try to make it all fancy and convenient. I'm glad I didn't get keyless remote because it seems to be a day ringer on the "I'm having issues" lists around here.

The line bodybrdng posted for the soft top should help a lot. Also refer to your manual as well as that card they attached to your sun visor. I agree that sun visor quick card isn't too good. What should have happened is your dealership should have taken you aside before you left the lot and said "Mister LSU, this is how you remove or lower your soft top." and took you through it step by step.

The knock issue should be looked at by your dealer, my Jeep isn't doing it.

In fact, my Jeep (knock on wood) has thus far been picture perfect.

At any rate, it's not supposed to do that. Get it checked.

As far as warranty, yeah its situational. If you go adding aftermarker suspension parts to your suspension don't expect them to cover that if your suspension messes up. But they have to cover other non-related parts that haven't been modified.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

also with the lifetime program you have to have the vechicle inspected every 5000 miles that the catch right there
Old 03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Black08X
What should have happened is your dealership should have taken you aside before you left the lot ... and took you through it step by step.
My dealer said it came with bluetooth. I hit the button, it said "U-Connect Not Available" and just looked at him weirdly. The dealership is dumb, its simply a store.

Other than that, I'd say everyone else has answered your questions. The pic was definitely helpful in the question though.

By the way... the straps you speak of... Those are for the putting the top back half way as well. If you only open the part above the seats, use the straps there too.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by muddpuppy01
also with the lifetime program you have to have the vechicle inspected every 5000 miles that the catch right there
I'm sorry but that is incorrect muddpuppy.

# Q4: Are there specific provisions to the new warranty?
# A4. In order to maintain the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, you must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once every 5 years. This inspection, performed at no charge, must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle. It is your responsibility to perform preventative maintenance on your vehicle. You’re strongly encouraged to follow the instructions contained in the Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner’s Manual.
http://www.jeep.com/en/lifetime_powe...ranty/faq.html
Old 03-10-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

hey guys, the advice has been very helpful... i think i figured out the soft top issue... it appears to have been folding down in the wrong direction and the top was directed inward instead of outward...
as for the warranty, keyless, and knock... im gonna make a pit stop at the dealer and let them deal with it.
The warranty policy is a mandatory 5 year inspection by the dealer within 60 days of purchase date EVERY 5 years for anyone who was wondering.

One more question... anyone know where to find a soft top "boot" to wrap my dropped top in before i start combing quadratec and the like?

thanks alot!

Quick Reply: NEW JK OWNER, some questions/issues...