Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New Jeep owner!...something looks off

Old 05-18-2021 | 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Default New Jeep owner!...something looks off

Just got a used 2015 JK. First time owning a jeep. It IS lifted and HAD 35s on it. Drove like shit. Went down to 33's, got a new 1.5" inch suspension kit from Teraflex arriving in 3ish weeks. And then I just noticed the bar that the back window attaches too doesn't line up with the tailgate. I'm gonna ASSUME that's not normal lol. Now the window itself is kind of warped, zipper is uhh...in bad shape. Over all the soft top is trashed, actually ordered a new factory one arriving this week!
Old 05-18-2021 | 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Welcome aboard USN. JKF has good members with much knowledge.. from the pic.. it appears that the lower piece is bowed; probably from the other owner not being careful. What Top did you order? Also the replacement of the unknown lift and 35s with your chosen kit and 33s should get you the ride you seek, BTW.. suspecting you might be a VET check this site: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/anno...ilable-340248/

Old 05-18-2021 | 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

I ordered the Bestop Replace-A-Top with the tinted windows. Yeah I ordered the Teraflex 1.5" inch lift. I'm mostly a DD (bout 50 miles round trip for work) so as much as I want to ride trails and do some light off roading, I felt that kit would do me best especially with the 33's I have now (KO2 70r17) and I'm seriously impressed with how quiet these are. I was fully expecting road noise but these are kind of blowing me away right now. I've had some work done like ball joint replacement and a steering stabilizer and that with the new tires has helped a lot. Still feels like it randomly travels left and right a little bit. As far as I can tell it has Zone (is that even a known brand?) shocks with maybe aftermarket coils. I can upload pictures of that if you want.

And I know I have USN in my handle, I am not a vet. I did go to bootcamp for the Navy but unfortunately was given a medical discharge for an ear infection. I know, It sounds made up but I shit you not. Before I left in 06 I made this internet handle and have pretty much used it ever since.
Old 05-18-2021 | 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

HI.. Thanks for enlisting and you gave it your best.. After the Teraflex (should be GOOD for your DD and Green Trails) be sure to have the front end alignment done,, look for CASTER in the 3.8 to 4.5 degree range.. too little caster will contribute to what you describe. Bestop is very good stuff. Several good JEEP shops around your area should you need more experienced advise.
Old 05-18-2021 | 02:09 PM
JK Junkie

That replace a top won't likely come with any hardware, so if that thing in the rear window is bent, that will still be a problem. Check to make sure the plastic brackets that hold that bar are installed correctly. I can't tell in the picture.
Old 05-18-2021 | 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
HI.. Thanks for enlisting and you gave it your best.. After the Teraflex (should be GOOD for your DD and Green Trails) be sure to have the front end alignment done,, look for CASTER in the 3.8 to 4.5 degree range.. too little caster will contribute to what you describe. Bestop is very good stuff. Several good JEEP shops around your area should you need more experienced advise.
So here is what my ali

gnment looks like after I put the 33s on. I honestly didn't know anything about caster angle so I didn't bring that up when I was there about a week ago
Old 05-18-2021 | 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Guess I'll find out this weekend lol. But if not then just another piece I'll be ordering. Thankfully I'm in PA so shipping from Quadratec or Extreme Terrain is two days tops.
Old 05-18-2021 | 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps this will shed light on CASTER .. https://carfromjapan.com/article/car...0are%20turning.

On my JKUs both are at 3.8 degree Negative... on the 2.5" lifted we used Geometry Correction Brackets to maintain similar to factory leveling.. on the 2" lifted did nothing and got same.. another option is adjustable control arms (more expensive than a GC Bracket) CAMBER isn't adjustable on solid axle Wranglers without offset or adjustable Ball Joints.
Old 05-19-2021 | 04:24 AM
Former Member

Welcome from GA! I have the Bestop and like it.
Old 05-19-2021 | 04:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Really hard to tell much about that bar from the one picture but as Rob said above, you'll be re-using all that hardware with the new top. That caster is pretty low. Going down to a 1.5" lift will raise that up a bit. I'd see where it sets after the suspension update.

I would suggest that since you know what the caster is right now, measure your pinion angle with a digital angle finder as it sits now so you have a good baseline to compare against after the lift changes. That way you don't have to go back for another alignment to see what your caster is. The angle finder is not near as exact as an alignment computer, but you just need to know the difference between what it is now and what it will soon be. If you can lower the pinion by 1° or more from its current angle you'll be in good shape (caster would go from current 2.8° to 3.8°+). Ideally you get back up over 4°, but if you're at least close it would likely be good enough.

Quick Reply: New Jeep owner!...something looks off