Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New Guy Question

Old 04-15-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Question

Hi Guys and Gals,
My name is Wes and I have a question for all you JK gurus out there. I am in the process of a buyback on an 07 Ram 6.7 Cummins and one of the options I gave Chrysler is a trade for a new 09 JK. I wanted to know how reliable the new engine/6sp tranny are. And if there are any big issues with the JK I might need to know about. The Cummins forum has been a great help with the old truck and I know this one will be as good for the JK. Hopefully Dodge won't drag their feet on this trade. I will tell you IMHO stay away from anything diesel. 10 cel's in 28000 miles will try the paitence of Ghandi. If this post is in the wrong section please excuse me. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Wes - You have definitely come to the right place. However, I am still a newbie, and don't have your answer. There are guys on here that know these things backwards and forewards. Just be patient - you will get your answer.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I think that the engines and tranny's have been pretty good. I have had a few trans issues myself but were probably more related to abuse than factory defect.

The problems that you will see the most of here are leaking tops and small things like that. The JK is a pretty solid vehicle and you will be pleased with it. I hada Ram 1500 previously and loved it, but habve never looked back on my decision.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

no issues with mine but its an auto w/hardtop only. great truck.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

My last vehicle was a Dodge Durango. I miss it's towing abilities...but I would not go back...I love the JK.

I have 12,000 miles and have no engine or trans issues. The only problems I have had were MyGig issues that were resolved with software updates at the dealer.

If you're looking around on the site and asking questions about problems, etc. I would say most people are more apt to make posts about having problems than posts about all the problems they ARENT having.

(Before I get flamed, I am not saying there are not people with legitimate issues regarding their Jeeps...just saying there are more people out there who do NOT have problems... Now I'm confusing myself.)
Old 04-16-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

engine and trans are great... just slooooooow
Old 04-16-2009, 02:35 PM
JK Freak

At the risk of Jinxing myself I'll just say at just under 10,000 miles and having owned mine for just over a year both engine,tranny and everything else has been great!
Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys,
After all the problems with a $41,000 truck I am getting a little gunshy. I will push my dealer for the JK trade. Oh yea! I have a 1970 M35A-2 Deuce, forget the leaky tops. When I drive it in the rain it soaks your whole shirt. But I have yet to get it stuck. must be the 10 wheel drive Thanks again, I'll be in this forum alot.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MB-08-JK(R)
Leaking tops - Both soft tops and hard tops, not just a little either.
CELs - some vehicles had faulty PCMs that would throw erroneous CELs
Squeaky clutch issues
Death Wobble
Low power
Poor gas mileage

DID I MENTION THAT WHEN I LEMON LAW'D MY JK I REPLACED IT WITH ANOTHER?

I LOVE MY JK! I LOVE MY JK!

Death Wobble? That's just a myth!
Old 04-16-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

1*https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/how-problematic-your-jeep-33910/

2*https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...jeep+made+crap

3*https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...jeep+made+crap

just a few threads that I wish I would have read before I bought my "heep"

Last edited by swanni06; 04-16-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: New Guy Question