Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New bumper = much better 5k towing

Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
This topic is beat to death. 4 door wranglers are artificially low in the USA. Other countries rate them as high as 4400 pounds. I successfully tow nearly 5000 pound. Does fine. 2012 max tow package. And, my trailer is like a big square brick.
I haven't ever seen anything about it lol I would say that they are both rated artificially low, I have a 23ft bay boat that the bare hull weighs 1500lbs plus motor, fuel, and everything else in the boat, I would say it probably weighs close to 2500lbs and my 2 door pulls it perfectly fine all the time. I know that's not way over the "limit" like your 4 door pulling 5000lbs but I feel like it could easily pull around 3500lbs assuming tongue weight wasn't crazy high
Old 08-26-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
I haven't ever seen anything about it lol I would say that they are both rated artificially low, I have a 23ft bay boat that the bare hull weighs 1500lbs plus motor, fuel, and everything else in the boat, I would say it probably weighs close to 2500lbs and my 2 door pulls it perfectly fine all the time. I know that's not way over the "limit" like your 4 door pulling 5000lbs but I feel like it could easily pull around 3500lbs assuming tongue weight wasn't crazy high
I did a bunch of searching before I ordered my 2012 JKU because I knew I wanted to tow with it. I went to Chrysler websites for other countries like Germany, Switzerland, Australia, etc. most have the gas powered JKU rated higher than the 3500 allowed in the US. Two prime theories on why. One is that it is considered a convertible since the top and doors don't protect, which is also why uhaul won't rent a trailer if you have a soft top jeep. The second has to do with maintaining a certain speed up some mountain pass in Colorado. What's interesting in my case is that I have towed my toyhauler empty at 3500 pounds and full at 5000 pounds and I can't tell any difference between the two. On the highway, it is the wind resistance that matters, not as much as the max weight.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe that the maximum tow capability has more to do with the ability to stop the trailer weight than the weight it can move forward.
It's a safety issue; do you want a 5,000 lb load "horsing" your Jeep around, or 3500 lb when you get into a panic stop?
It's why NFL teams like 350 lb linemen...
Old 08-26-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
I believe that the maximum tow capability has more to do with the ability to stop the trailer weight than the weight it can move forward. It's a safety issue; do you want a 5,000 lb load "horsing" your Jeep around, or 3500 lb when you get into a panic stop? It's why NFL teams like 350 lb linemen...
Nope. The trailer has dual axle brakes. I think all trailers over 2000 pounds need to have their own brakes. I can actually dial my brake controller such that the trailer braking will stop my jeep. I did tow a landscape trailer about 3000 pounds only for 2 miles with no trailer brakes. Yes, that was scary and I could feel it pushing my jeep upon stopping but my toyhauler with electric brakes never has me feeling worried that it won't stop. There are some jeep liberties rated for 5000 pounds. Do you honestly think they are more capable of towing compared to the 285hp JKU? They have shorter wheel base, are lighter, are narrower, and have less powerful engines.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 08-26-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

I did a bunch of searching before I ordered my 2012 JKU because I knew I wanted to tow with it. I went to Chrysler websites for other countries like Germany, Switzerland, Australia, etc. most have the gas powered JKU rated higher than the 3500 allowed in the US. Two prime theories on why. One is that it is considered a convertible since the top and doors don't protect, which is also why uhaul won't rent a trailer if you have a soft top jeep. The second has to do with maintaining a certain speed up some mountain pass in Colorado. What's interesting in my case is that I have towed my toyhauler empty at 3500 pounds and full at 5000 pounds and I can't tell any difference between the two. On the highway, it is the wind resistance that matters, not as much as the max weight.
Hmmm. Uhaul rented me a trailer to tow one way across the country in my 08 JK soft top. No one batted an eye. Subject didn't even come up. While the vehicle may very well pull the trailer, if you are over the weight ratings for the vehicle you very well may be civilly liable if that vehicle is involved in an accident. That accident may not even necessarily have been your fault but you may find yourself being held responsible civilly or criminally depending upon severity of the accident.

FB
Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by firebug4
Hmmm. Uhaul rented me a trailer to tow one way across the country in my 08 JK soft top. No one batted an eye. Subject didn't even come up. While the vehicle may very well pull the trailer, if you are over the weight ratings for the vehicle you very well may be civilly liable if that vehicle is involved in an accident. That accident may not even necessarily have been your fault but you may find yourself being held responsible civilly or criminally depending upon severity of the accident. FB
May be true. I don't know. I have both trailer insurance and vehicle insurance. Just wondering, If you are braking the law by traveling 10mph over the speed limit and cause a crash, is that any different?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the same rear bumper on mine and i pull my 1300lb jetski around every weekend. I also noticed a difference in towing it when i put the new bumper on. seems to be a little more stable now.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

May be true. I don't know. I have both trailer insurance and vehicle insurance. Just wondering, If you are braking the law by traveling 10mph over the speed limit and cause a crash, is that any different?
Yes, It would be different. Legally, 10 MPH over the speed limit is not going to rise to the level of reckless or negligent. Knowingly towing well over the rated limits of the vehicle has been argued to be negligent and that is looked at very differently in a civil court scenario. I would also look closely at my insurance policy's fine print. Very often it includes language that allows the insurance company an out if the vehicle is being used outside of it intended purposes or ratings.

FB

Last edited by firebug4; 08-28-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

What the factory hitch is bolted to is the cross support between the frame rails which probably can't handle the weight over 3500 lbs that why the jk has a lower tow rate . If the bumper with hitch mount has a higher tow weight is probably the way way it mounts to the frame
Old 08-29-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JeeP_MarK
What the factory hitch is bolted to is the cross support between the frame rails which probably can't handle the weight over 3500 lbs that why the jk has a lower tow rate . If the bumper with hitch mount has a higher tow weight is probably the way way it mounts to the frame
That theory could have some merit. Here is what the factory setup looks like behind the bumper. The smittybilt ties the receiver into the frame through the 3/16" steel of the welded bumper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1930177415.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	573477  

Quick Reply: New bumper = much better 5k towing