Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

New Brake Pads

Old 04-06-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Brake Pads

Ok, she's got 42K miles on her. She's at the stealership getting an "evap pump solenoid" replaced and the gas tank TSB work done on her, but the rear brakes need replacement. Soooo.....

What kind of pads--ceramic, carbon-metallic? OEM (have no idea what kind those are)?

Good place to get them? Qtec? Northridge (Dave, I'll be ordering those LoD sliders from you in the next week!)??

Haven't seen any threads on the different kinds of pads. I don't wheel to hard, and I like it that whatever the OEM pads are, there isn't a whole lot of dust. I have an '08 Sahara Unlimited.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duralast Gold CMAX Lifetime Warranty Brake Pads from AutoZone. You only buy them once. 'Nuff sed
Old 04-06-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lifetime pads are harder on rotors I find than OEM ones, though some of those tend to leave a lot of dust. Get some decent, but not over the top set for the rear, you're going to change them half as often as the front anyways, unless there is a issue with the brakes.

I'd also have a look at your own brakes too and make your own call. If the metal backing is the same thickness as the brake pad surface, then you're at 50% and should change them soon. Use the inside pad as your guide since this one wears faster. Don't bother with rotors unless they look pitted or have a lip of rust and metal around the outside where the pad doesn't make contact. Dealerships LOVE brake jobs cause the markup on parts is insane and the techs can do the job quickly.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Junkie

Phantom is very right.

I got some pads at a local Napa and they work great. The markup is definitely insane too, the stealer can always make the most ridiculously easy repair cost hundreds of dollars. Takes longer to get the JK up in the air than to do a brake job.

By all means, do what fits your needs, but some of those 60 dollar brake pads I can't see it. 30 for the rear and 40 for the front, I can deal with that.

Don't forget to bleed it all out too starting at the right rear tire
Old 04-06-2011, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PhantomRescue
Get some decent, but not over the top set for the rear, you're going to change them half as often as the front anyways, unless there is a issue with the brakes.
My brakes must be FUBAR then. I replaced all four at 27k. The front were hardly worn and sit in a box as backups to my lifetime pads. The back were nearly gone. I attributed the rear wear as a byproduct of the ESP system with brake assisted steering (BAS). Maybe I should have my stealership look into the operation of my system to be safe.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

I would recommend Hawk brand pads. Better braking than stock and were Made in USA!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wheels082
I would recommend Hawk brand pads. Better braking than stock and were Made in USA!
Heard good things about those though they are a little less common I think up here in the great white north......I think what sa29560 means is start with your rears first, the fluid is a little easier to get the caliper pistons back in I find in the back of any vehicle, might just be because the piston can be smaller. You're not actually bleeding the fluid from the bleeder screw unless you are changing out any major parts, ie: master cylinder, new caliper, brake line.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

are OEM pads ceramic or semi??
Old 05-11-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomRescue
... for the rear, you're going to change them half as often as the front anyways, unless there is a issue with the brakes...
I think that you meant the other way around. The rears will go out quickly--replaced mine at 65K miles or so (that is quick for me), and at 75K miles the fronts still look great. Same for most recent model vehicles, BTW. It's caused by the computer using the rear brakes a lot for vehicle control.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wheels082
Hawk Ceramics or LTS?

Quick Reply: New Brake Pads