Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Never Without An Issue

Old 09-21-2014, 06:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree. From everything I've read the spare is not monitored. Many people ride with no spare and I don't think they all reprogrammed to shut off the tpms.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

The dTPMS sensors do transmit always. So all tires are picked up by the main system as a general rule. For systems that have a specific tire location detection, this is picked up by the ABS/ESC systems at the brakes. How this information is specifically calculated and alerted would be a question for the Jeep software engineers. But yes, the spare is being 'picked up' by the system. How the alert back is being picked up is a function of the ABS/ESC sensors and software.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:29 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Due To Privacy Concerns and constant bantering, This Post Has Been Deleted

Last edited by AngryRedBird; 10-11-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by casamtb
The dTPMS sensors do transmit always. So all tires are picked up by the main system as a general rule. For systems that have a specific tire location detection, this is picked up by the ABS/ESC systems at the brakes. How this information is specifically calculated and alerted would be a question for the Jeep software engineers. But yes, the spare is being 'picked up' by the system. How the alert back is being picked up is a function of the ABS/ESC sensors and software.
I know the sensors always transmit, but it's the receivers that report the signals. I believe the receivers are wheel specific. If the sensor/receivers are part of the ABS, then where is the receiver for the spare? I don't believe the spare has one. But I certainly could be wrong.

I read a while back what the process is that triggers the tpms receivers to read the sensors again. I'll see if I can find it. It's pretty complicated and explains why some people's tpms light shuts off quicker than others when a repair/swap is made.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

This is a mighty long thread to be discussing tpms lol
Old 09-21-2014, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

Couldn't find the explanation for the reset logic in the computer. Sorry.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:14 AM
-

Due To Privacy Concerns and constant bantering, This Post Has Been Deleted

Last edited by AngryRedBird; 10-11-2014 at 06:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Never Without An Issue