Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need a source for stock JK plastic fender mounting clips chrysler is too expensive

Old 05-12-2010, 02:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Okay, I'm going to tell you how to get the fender on. Or at least how I did it. I had to remove my fender to get some work done on my Jeep (replace the EGR valve). I removed several bolts (four?) that went through to the body panels and brackets, and pulled the fender to get the clips to remove. In pulling the fender I broke several of the clips. In hindsight, I probably could have saved some/all of these had I been more careful and looked at the back side of the body where each fender clip mounts. By gently squeezing with a pair of pliers, I should have been able to get each clip to release and pass through the hole. Now, if your fender is partly off, you'll need to get the new clips properly seated into its recess hole. Each clip has some nubbins on it that set into two small holes on either side of the main hole the clip passes though. These nubbins ensure the clip doesn't slide around as you install it. Getting these in place with the fender removed is easy. It may not be so easy if the fender is installed. Once these are in place, put the fender in place and press each one of the fasteners into its mating hole on the body. Reinstall the four (?) bolts and pop a beer, you're done.

One note: I've heard about the tear away fender, which doesn't seem to reconcile with the four (?) bolts. Maybe I removed them unnecessarily? Please let me know!
There are 3 or 4 you can't get to on the rear fenders so you have to use a little force on the back ones or cut the clips so you don't mess up the fender. I just cut them because I had ordered new ones.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I gotta write these PN's down!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get them at HOME DEPOT. i used to get them there all the time
Old 05-12-2010, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

Default MOPAR part number?

many of the fastener manufacturers cross reference, and would prevent folks ordering the wrong thing

anyone know the stock part number?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepoholic
Mine are not hidden!!!! Because my fenders are cut and some people might care.

If you would look under clips and go to page 8 look for part #55157055-AA
Those are the correct clips. Note the part number (20887) ...

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Chrysler_Moulding_Clip_Gray_Nylon_p/a20887.htm
Old 05-12-2010, 05:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by 69thunderbird
many of the fastener manufacturers cross reference, and would prevent folks ordering the wrong thing. anyone know the stock part number?
That's what I would have thought. But, even the manufacturer could not cross reference the stock part number. Auveco 20887 will work, though it is not stock black in color. You will get results if you just plug that PN into a search engine.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Offroadme
you can get them at HOME DEPOT. i used to get them there all the time
You can find these at Home Depot (or Lowe's, as someone else said)?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Okay, maybe I've figured out what's going on here. It appears that the rear fender and the front fender do not use the same clips. The rear fender, which I've never removed, uses OEM part number 06506007AA, which is described as a rivet. The front fender uses OEM part number 68033045AA, which is described as a clip, applique, arrowhead (and looks like the image I linked above). Since OP did not specify which fender he was working on, that's what caused the confusion. I suspect that Lowe's/Home Depot (and most auto parts stores) have the ones for the rear fender. But, the ones for the front fender are more difficult to find. Auveco part number 20887 will do the job at about $9/pkg of 15 each--or you can visit my dealership and they will sell you the OEM part for $4.80 each.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Okay, I'm going to tell you how to get the fender on. Or at least how I did it. I had to remove my fender to get some work done on my Jeep (replace the EGR valve). I removed several bolts (four?) that went through to the body panels and brackets, and pulled the fender to get the clips to remove. In pulling the fender I broke several of the clips. In hindsight, I probably could have saved some/all of these had I been more careful and looked at the back side of the body where each fender clip mounts. By gently squeezing with a pair of pliers, I should have been able to get each clip to release and pass through the hole. Now, if your fender is partly off, you'll need to get the new clips properly seated into its recess hole. Each clip has some nubbins on it that set into two small holes on either side of the main hole the clip passes though. These nubbins ensure the clip doesn't slide around as you install it. Getting these in place with the fender removed is easy. It may not be so easy if the fender is installed. Once these are in place, put the fender in place and press each one of the fasteners into its mating hole on the body. Reinstall the four (?) bolts and pop a beer, you're done.

One note: I've heard about the tear away fender, which doesn't seem to reconcile with the four (?) bolts. Maybe I removed them unnecessarily? Please let me know!
Thank you for the help. I ordered the grey fasteners, and yesterday took a look at the fender section that is partially popped off. I see what you are saying when you have to slide them into the hole, then push the whole fender in so they secure themselves through the hole with the arrowhead hook. Thank you for your help, this little problem has been bugging me for a while!

Brandon
Old 05-16-2010, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys for your help! This morning I chose to sacrifice my rear fender to save my differential, and this afternoon, I buried my passenger front corner in a creek bed, and popped that fender off its mounts (the mounts are still mounted, but the fender hangs on their edges)

Any word on when "quality"/flat JK fenders are coming down in price? I'm not paying $600.

Quick Reply: Need a source for stock JK plastic fender mounting clips chrysler is too expensive