Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need softer ride

Old 05-14-2014, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
I recommend that you take ride in a new JKU Sahara. The Sahara shocks are gas filled and offer a firmer ride than you will find on the Sport model while, at the same time, providing a softer ride than you will find on your Rubicon. As a 75 year old life long Jeeper, I find them to be "just right" at this time in my life. They may also be a cheaper alternative than big name after market shocks.

DF
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
The ranchos are nice and adjustable and get them for a great price.
Exactly what do you do to adjust the shocks? Is there a remote, do you crawl under the jeep to turn something, something installed on the dashboard?
Old 05-14-2014, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

You simply crawl behind under jeep from behind and turn 1 knob on each shock.
For me with a 4 door I will adjust my shocks based on what we are doing and how many people will be in the jeep.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Perhaps to state the obvious, although it hasn't been mentioned in this thread: tires and tire pressure hugely affect ride quality, especially "softness." To the OP, I don't see what you're running in your profile, but post that up. Is it the stock BFGs?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by d-rap
Perhaps to state the obvious, although it hasn't been mentioned in this thread: tires and tire pressure hugely affect ride quality, especially "softness." To the OP, I don't see what you're running in your profile, but post that up. Is it the stock BFGs?
Thanks for the heads up on my profile. I went there and saw what was listed and tried to change some entries, but nothing would change. How do I edit my profile? Also I'm running 37# on all 4 tires. I tried lowering the pressure to several different places. When the ride got soft enough for my wife, the Jeep was squirmy on the road so went back to recommended pressure. The tires are Goodyear Wranglers P255/75r 17. The ride was just fine for my wife until her back problem caused her pain. We have other vehicles that don't give her back pain. Just the Jeep. She loves the off road thing as much as I do so. Hope we can find a solution.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Just go to your username and scroll to "Settings." Then "Edit Profile" in Settings.

Maybe closer to 30 psi, or 32? That might be a good compromise. And then even on a dirt road at slower speeds, and certainly on off-road trails, you can take those tires into the teens, which will dramatically soften the ride.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

My teraflex VSS9500's are like riding in a high end luxury car compared to the junk shocks that my X had.... I'm convinced that they were filled with concrete. After riding on the tereflex shocks, I honestly don't know how I ever enjoyed riding it stock. I'm anxious to see what you get and how your ride improves!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by d-rap
Just go to your username and scroll to "Settings." Then "Edit Profile" in Settings.

Maybe closer to 30 psi, or 32? That might be a good compromise. And then even on a dirt road at slower speeds, and certainly on off-road trails, you can take those tires into the teens, which will dramatically soften the ride.
We run around 15-18# off road and empty.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by THE OLD MAN
We run around 15-18# off road and empty.
The offroad psi sounds good. On road, 28~30 psi is generally the sweet spot between soft and handling.

Custom re-valving is a trial/error process which would typically take 2 - 3 re-valving sessions before you get exactly what you want.
Shocks like the Fox compression damper adjuster, allow you to tweak the shocks yourself.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by THE OLD MAN
I'm really not qualified to answer that question. I just need a softer ride for my wife and that is why I started this thread.
I was asking fatboyone, not the op. Sorry for the confusion.

37psi on the tires is a bit much for a comfortable ride, but if you don't like the handling at lower pressures you will do what you have to do.

Quick Reply: Need softer ride