Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

need skid plate advice

Old 02-09-2020, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default need skid plate advice

Looking for advice. I bought the Rubicon express oil pan skid for my 07 jkur. There's an access hole for the drain plug but I use an EZ drain valve which I love and won't get rid of. The valve doesn't quite clear the hole. Simple solution is to cut the hole bigger but I don't want to make a hack job out of it. I need to find someone with a cutting torch to make a nice clean cut don't I?

I also got the Rubicon Express manual transmission skid. The rear oem star bolts in the transmission are what this piece uses to mount in place. I can get to then and turn them but can't get them out. Looks like the transmission frame cross member needs to be removed to get these bolts out and back in. Do I need to support the transmission with a transmission jack or can I just remove the cross member without doing that? I don't want the transmission falling on my head lol.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:15 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You're talking cutting the hole bigger on the skid plate? why not just use a step big and a drill? How big a hole do you need? Some step bits get pretty big.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:17 AM
JK Newbie

Default re

Installed my Rubicon express oil pan skid. I refused to lose my EZ oil drain plug because it makes oil changes so quick and easy so I had to lengthen the oil plug hole with a step bit and grinder. It doesn't hang down, it sticks out on the back side so should be ok. If it gets hit, I'll deal with it then.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I had my ez drain piece get hit and it just knocked the nipple off. After that, I removed it and have been draining it normally. I think if I had used a hose on it then I'd enjoy it more.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I had my ez drain piece get hit and it just knocked the nipple off. After that, I removed it and have been draining it normally. I think if I had used a hose on it then I'd enjoy it more.

Yeah I use a hose. I'm taking a chance with it I know. It just makes like so much easier. If it gets hit, so be it. I'll deal with it then.

Quick Reply: need skid plate advice