Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need opinion on which lift kit

Old 10-04-2018, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinion on which lift kit

i have a 2008 wrangler and was looking to put a 2 inch lift kit on. I was wanting some suggestions on which one. There’s a lot out there. I was looking at old man emu. I’m open tto suggestions. Thanks
Old 10-04-2018, 07:34 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 205 Likes on 185 Posts
Lightbulb

I've had the 2" emu lift for almost 100k miles, no complaints. The shocks add 1" down travel, and there's still as much (or more) up travel in the shock compared with a stock one. No camber correction was necessary, the driveshafts remain stock, and so are the brake lines.

Some lifts have even longer (measured by the extended length) shocks that can't compress all the way to the stock length, there's an assumption that extended bump stops will be added to reduce up-travel (to keep the shock from bottoming out). The extra axle down travel in turn requires longer brake lines, and may flex the CV joint on the driveshaft too far - damaging the rubber grease boot at a minimum.

So there's two basic decisions in my mind: Springs determine the static ride height. Shocks and bump-stops should determine the down/up travel. The reason for the italicized "should" is that other stuff (tires, fenders, skid plates, steering/suspension, driveshafts, etc) should not get damaged in the process of the shocks limiting down-travel and the bump-stops limiting up-travel. The stock bump-stops will compress quite a bit, keep that in mind with aftermarket parts. More in my build thread, linked below.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

OME is a solid lift and good company. They are often ignored on the forums since they don't have a pretense here pushing their products. Metal cloak and synergy would be a couple more companies to look at for a good quality kit.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mr.T
I've had the 2" emu lift for almost 100k miles, no complaints. The shocks add 1" down travel, and there's still as much (or more) up travel in the shock compared with a stock one. No camber correction was necessary, the driveshafts remain stock, and so are the brake lines.

Some lifts have even longer (measured by the extended length) shocks that can't compress all the way to the stock length, there's an assumption that extended bump stops will be added to reduce up-travel (to keep the shock from bottoming out). The extra axle down travel in turn requires longer brake lines, and may flex the CV joint on the driveshaft too far - damaging the rubber grease boot at a minimum.

So there's two basic decisions in my mind: Springs determine the static ride height. Shocks and bump-stops should determine the down/up travel. The reason for the italicized "should" is that other stuff (tires, fenders, skid plates, steering/suspension, driveshafts, etc) should not get damaged in the process of the shocks limiting down-travel and the bump-stops limiting up-travel. The stock bump-stops will compress quite a bit, keep that in mind with aftermarket parts. More in my build thread, linked below.

I've had my OME for 8 years and about 75,000 miles and have been very happy with it.

Quick Reply: Need opinion on which lift kit