Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need to know how to raise passenger seat.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-17-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fabricator should be able to make a bracket that will work. I'm not talking about spacers, a full bracket that goes front to back ( or side to side ) to safely lift the seat.

Also I really don't think spacer are as dangerous as everyone is saying. The seat doesn't weigh much and when someone is sitting in the seat they should have on a seatbelt. The seat belt isn't attached to the seat itself so during an accident the stress isn't placed as much on the seat mounts as the seatbelt mounts.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

or you could buy a drivers seat for a right hand drive jeep from overseas

might be costly but would still techically still be stock
Old 07-18-2010, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used some boat roller bumpers for my son's TJ. No side airbags and the normal do at your own risk but...

I got them at Eastern marine but you can get at just about any boating store.

We replaced all the hardware with Grade 8 - bolts, washers, etc.

This really helped and changed the overall comfort and safety of the vehicle - He is and will only get to 5' 7".

I did do some research on this and spoke with an engineer before doing. He pointed out a few things:

The are many different size people that drive cars - a 1 - 3 inch change will make little difference unless the driver/passenger is on the tall side of the design spec.

The upgrade in bolts is better than OEM and does not create an safyet issues.

The multiple points of safety are not thwarted by a small change in this height - but he would have needed to do more work to take into consideration side airbags or air bag curtains.

Hope that helps...
Old 07-18-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
Yeah, actually raising the seat with spacers seems like a bad idea. Maybe an automotive upholstery shop could add some thicker/denser padding to the bottom cushion?

I agree. I think that this is the safest, option and probably very inexpensive. Or try to find someone that has a drivers seat/or find one in a boneyard and just figure a way to either modify the controls so they are in reach with the center console or flip em to the other side.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd think it'd make the jeep look silly to have one seat higher than the other, and if a normal sized person tried to ride in it, it'd be odd for them.

a pad, or some kind of car seat might work. easy to remove when reselling or other passengers need to ride.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought seat lift kits for my one of my TJ (my 06 had really low seats).. can you not use one of those on the JK? it came with the spacers and the longer bolts and all... worked great....
-Christopher

Quick Reply: Need to know how to raise passenger seat.