Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need help with chrome removal

Old 12-19-2010, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with chrome removal

Just bought a 2008 unlimited. It had chrome on the fuel door, grill, tail lights and mirrors. Gonna live with the fuel door and grill for now. But need help talking off the caps from the mirrors. I want to remove carefully In case I don't like what I find underneath or to sell the caps.

They look to be just on there. I see no fasteners. They don't seem rigidly attached but I am reluctant to just start pulling them off. Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are stick-ons, maybe you could heat em up with a blow drier.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the guys in my Jeep club removed his. In his case (not guaranteeing that yours is the same) they were plastic shells held in place by two-sided tape, and they fitted directly over the stock black mirror housing. I believe he used a hair-dryer & just pried them off, but I don't know if he damaged them (the chrome-coated plastic shells, not the black housing underneath which looks fine) and then just cleaned the residue off with a spirit cleaner. His was fully blinged out when he got it with chrome hinge covers, door handles, etc and in every case they were just stuck on with the tape.

He also sanded down the grill and painted it matt black from a rattle can and it looks awesome.

Last edited by JKlad; 12-19-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help with chrome removal