Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

NEED HELP! Blowing Turn Signal Bulbs

Old 03-22-2016, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! Blowing Turn Signal Bulbs

Hey Guys! I keep on blowing rear turn signal bulbs in my 2012 JK Wrangler Sport. It is not the same side each time. The tail lights and all lighting on the Jeep is stock. Every time I have one blow out, I replace both of them. However, they will last maybe 2 months of normal driving and then one will just randomly blow out. Unfortunately, I don't get a chance to go off-roading all that often so I know it isn't anything to do with any mud or water forced into the tail lights causing the bulbs to prematurely break. I am lost as to what to do and would like to try and avoid taking it to the dealership and overpaying them to tell me "the bulb is blown out, lets replace it and see if it fixes it." Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any suggestions on a fix for this?
Old 03-22-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

When this happens, the brake light fails at the same location, too, correct?

Have you checked the bulbs for lack of continuity with a meter? Or, have you actually seen the broken filaments?
I ask because the sockets are very sensitive to ground faults that get temporarily corrected when you change bulbs.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-22-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:22 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyT22
Hey Guys! I keep on blowing rear turn signal bulbs in my 2012 JK Wrangler Sport. It is not the same side each time. The tail lights and all lighting on the Jeep is stock. Every time I have one blow out, I replace both of them. However, they will last maybe 2 months of normal driving and then one will just randomly blow out. Unfortunately, I don't get a chance to go off-roading all that often so I know it isn't anything to do with any mud or water forced into the tail lights causing the bulbs to prematurely break. I am lost as to what to do and would like to try and avoid taking it to the dealership and overpaying them to tell me "the bulb is blown out, lets replace it and see if it fixes it." Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any suggestions on a fix for this?
I had a similar issue but only because I had tapped into the brake light of one of the passenger tail lights. The extra electrical node caused a higher current draw / power surge and actually fried one of the pin-outs in the plastic housing where the stock bulb fits. The first time it fried the filament. 2nd time it fried the housing.

Have you replaced your 2012 battery yet? The 2012 oem batteries are notorious for causing electrical issues and/or just flat out dying on you when you least expect it. Make sure your battery terminals are clean and not corroded.

I finally changed the rears out to JW Speaker tails. Brighter, LED's, made in the USA and they look sweet. Halogen bulbs are a pain in the ass....

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
When this happens, the brake light fails at the same location, too, correct?

Have you checked the bulbs for lack of continuity with a meter? Or, have you actually seen the broken filaments?
I ask because the sockets are very sensitive to ground faults that get temporarily corrected when you change bulbs.
Not to be a idiot, but what does " sensitive to ground faults " mean ?
Old 03-23-2016, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

I was wondering the same thing. Also, if I am checking the plug with a meter, what readings should it give?

As a note, why the turn signal blows, the tail lights still work. I looked at the bulbs each time I've had to replace them and the filament is actually broken inside.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The brake and turn signal are the same Filament, the running lite is the other filament.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Oh that is my mistake then. Yes I suppose the brake light would be out as well. Lol
Old 03-24-2016, 02:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ground fault is losing ground connection. He wanted you to verify the bulbs were actually bad and not just losing contact with ground.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a wire harness for a trailer? I was having the same problem and found out the harness was rubbed through on the frame. Fixed the rubbed wire and problem was solved.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Default Same exact problem

I have a 2012 JK sport as well with the exact same
problem. I also lose fog lamp bulbs a lot as well. This has happened so frequently, that I carry multiple spare bulbs in the Jeep and in the garage.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! Blowing Turn Signal Bulbs