Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need Dana 30 Insight To Deal With Dealership

Old 07-18-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need Dana 30 Insight To Deal With Dealership

So I bring my warrantied 2011 JKUS to the dealership for a leaking axle seal. ( because it looked like many pictures on the forum of the same problem ) He tells me it will be 3-6 hours depending on which seal it is.

1. Does a Dana 30 have inner AND outer seals? If so wouldn't they have to replace both?

He later tells me the tech could not find a leak. I ask him where the grease spot on my steering knuckle came from. He says it could be a leaking ball joint or U joint. He asks the tech, the tech says their both fine.

2. Can a stock ball joint or U joint develop a leak?

He finally says they will clean it up, add a UV dye to the diff, drive it, then let it sit, then search for a leak with a UV light. So their keeping it overnight.

3. Is there anything else that might be leaking causing a greasy knuckle?

4. Is there anything else I need to ask them?
Old 07-18-2014, 10:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like they are going to give it a good shake down with the uv and checking for a leak after keeping it overnight to make sure. as far as what might of been dripping, as you yourself mentioned, theres umpteen things down there that CAN drip. and depending on where youve been driving it might not even be a drip but more of a caught splash.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the only seal is in the differential for the D30. You call it a grease spot, if the seal was leaking the fluid would probably be running down the rotor and onto the tire. Differential fluid has a very distinct smell, does what you see smell like diff fluid? Is it like a thick oil or is it like grease?
Old 07-19-2014, 03:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 30 only has a inner axle seal. On the axle the only thing else that can leak would be the brake caliper.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

You're right about the distinct smell. It doesn't smell like that. It also doesn't look thin like flowing oil. More like oil was spilled but never got cleaned up and is now gathering dirt. Now that you guys got my thinking in the right direction it could have been from the dealership topping off my fluids in the past with some over spill.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Guess I should of cleaned it off and waited for it to leak more before taking it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Need Dana 30 Insight To Deal With Dealership