Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Need advise

Old 03-31-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise

I want to trade my 2010 jku auto for a 6 speed. My thoughts are less complexity less issues. Also would like to lower payment, should I go used or new?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grayandashleyunlimited
I want to trade my 2010 jku auto for a 6 speed. My thoughts are less complexity less issues. Also would like to lower payment, should I go used or new?
When weighing up the pros & cons of the reduced cost of a used rig versus new you need to consider the cost of a clutch replacement. You don't know how the previous owner treated the clutch and considering the OEM clutch disc is known to be fairly light duty and prone to premature failure if abused even a little bit (whether by excessive riding of it or submersion in mud or water) you'd need to factor in the $1000+ parts & labor cost of having to replace the clutch kit fairly soon. Unless the used JK is fairly new, has super low miles and the clutch is still under warranty, that is.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Based on several posts I read and personal experience, a manual vs. auto transmission should be evaluated in the context you will use your Jeep. One example is driving in heavy traffic. The manual's clutch will wear out faster than anything on an auto.

Another thing to consider is the cost of replacement of the whole car. You will not get much higher value from your car than on another with manual trans. Therefore the lower payments you are targeting may not be that different. Have you ran some calculations?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have run some calculations and I think I might be able to do decently well. I will be in town driving some interstate and wheeling about once or twice a month. But I am somewhat mechanically inclined and I do most of my own services. Clutch replacement being one of those things. I am not sure about the longevity of the JK's clutch, but with some care I have managed 120K in my Ranger with the same clutch. Plus I am plain tired of not being able to feel the gearing and make my own desicions on how to drive my JK.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKlad
When weighing up the pros & cons of the reduced cost of a used rig versus new you need to consider the cost of a clutch replacement. You don't know how the previous owner treated the clutch and considering the OEM clutch disc is known to be fairly light duty and prone to premature failure if abused even a little bit (whether by excessive riding of it or submersion in mud or water) you'd need to factor in the $1000+ parts & labor cost of having to replace the clutch kit fairly soon. Unless the used JK is fairly new, has super low miles and the clutch is still under warranty, that is.
while it sucks to hear, it is completely true.

I shopped around for a while, got a 07 with 40,000 miles on it, got an expensive ass warranty, clutch went in the first 9,000 miles. now the transmission is on its way out. live and learn, but think of all the cons before purchasing.

I ran a ranger 150K on one clutch, jks blew out in 3 months transmission in the 4th month
Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I've had 3 JKs all with 6spd. I off roaded all of them and they were all also daily drivers and never had any problems with the clutch or trannys.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Hidden Costs

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
I've had 3 JKs all with 6spd. I off roaded all of them and they were all also daily drivers and never had any problems with the clutch or trannys.
If you've already had 3 JK's, you didn't keep any one of them for very long. Usually, Warranties don't cover clutches or manual transmissions. Automatics on the 2010 and up are covered in the 3/36 and 5/ 100. How much will the monthly payment go down if you get the deal you want? If trading "down" to an older JK, you are losing warranty and equity; both have value. (This last part is for the original op-sorry)
Old 04-01-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
If you've already had 3 JK's, you didn't keep any one of them for very long. Usually, Warranties don't cover clutches or manual transmissions. Automatics on the 2010 and up are covered in the 3/36 and 5/ 100. How much will the monthly payment go down if you get the deal you want? If trading "down" to an older JK, you are losing warranty and equity; both have value. (This last part is for the original op-sorry)
Over 20k on 2 and my 2011 has 7k. Off roading is going to strain a clutch more than street use and I smoked my clutch on my old one a few times and it was fine.

Quick Reply: Need advise