Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Navtec Update CD for Jeep is a JOKE.......

Old 12-17-2010, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe002
The new 2011 Wranglers don't have NAVTEQ maps in them because they are Garmin based. You would have to look at 2010 model vehicles, and do they have the same map that you would be purchasing today? Why can't NAVTEQ show what they have on the CD? Their web site has a map on it, and if they used the same database you could just go by that map, but unfortunately it doesn’t have the same database as the one they are trying to sell.
Only the Cheaper MyGig system has the Garmin on it. The highest end MyGig has the Navteq. Guess who Garmin gets there's from? That's right, Navteq
Old 12-17-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Here's what they told me:

Received: 12/6/10 7:42:41 PM MST
To: "'Alicia'" <nabc_english@navteq.com>
Subject: RE: Contact Us

Hello,

Thanks for the response.

I have a question about viewing the maps at the Jeep dealership. My version of the MyGIG unit is based on Harmon Becker hardware and the newer units are based on Garmin hardware. Do both units use your maps. In other words, if I go the dealership and look at the MyGIG units in a 2011 Wrangler (Garmin based) will they be the same as your N209 1004 maps?

Thanks,
Joe

================================================== ===========

Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 7:53 AM
To: joe
Subject: Re: RE: Contact Us <<>>

Hello Joe,

Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. At this time we have not received any information regarding the 2011 Jeep Wrangler so we would not be able to answer your question. The latest vehicle that we have been informed about that uses the MyGIG system would be the 2010 Jeep Wrangler, so you could always check that model for the mapping information.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

NAVTEQ Customer Service
P.O. Box 1588
Orem, UT 84059

nabc_english@navteq.com
Easy way to understand why they may have told you No. Here in America we are told no, or products are labeled to tell us that if we use this, it will kill you or could.....so the No answer could have been because trying to explain to a customer that the maps are the same but the software (Garmin) that runs the Nav are not the same. just because they all use Navteq doesn't mean it will fit you.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sircody
Easy way to understand why they may have told you No. Here in America we are told no, or products are labeled to tell us that if we use this, it will kill you or could.....so the No answer could have been because trying to explain to a customer that the maps are the same but the software (Garmin) that runs the Nav are not the same. just because they all use Navteq doesn't mean it will fit you.
What?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Why Update with outdated data?

One would think that after a few years, one would want to update their software, however if you can't get a feel as to WHAT was upgraded, then what is the incentive?

I have been told that most of the updates are NOT on the West Coast and if they did do a few, they were in areas that one really does not travel too.

The other question that Navteq could not answer was WHEN was the last real data updated and verified. They only tell you the version and usually that is older data older than 1-year.

When I called the dealership and told them that Navteq suggested that I come to the dealership to view the update, they laughed.

It would be interesting to see how many Jeep owners have updated their Navteq?

Wouldn't it be great if they provided Topo's too as that would make more sense!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by beadbus
One would think that after a few years, one would want to update their software, however if you can't get a feel as to WHAT was upgraded, then what is the incentive?...
x2!

$200 and they won’t even show/tell you what you would be buying. They have a great map on their web site, and they even have some kind of process where you can make suggestions to have errors corrected. Why can’t they just post the database that they are currently selling so we could look through it and decide if it had the missing areas we are interested in? Would that be so hard?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 11 Sahara has the 430 Media Center with the Garmin Nav...when it boots up...Navteq is displayed somewhere (I cant remember).
Old 12-18-2010, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by evan631
My 11 Sahara has the 430 Media Center with the Garmin Nav...when it boots up...Navteq is displayed somewhere (I cant remember).
Well, that certainly would confirm that your unit is using use Navteq maps. Too bad Navteq doesn’t know where their product is installed. If they charged more for their maps maybe they could hire more/better people.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As someone mentioned earlier there really are only two map vendors, Navtech and TelAtlas... so any time you are using in vehicle navigation you will be using maps from one or the other... Navtech is generally used in the US.

With that said, my experience with both direct from Navtech and Garmin maps in other vehicles is that the maps are rougly 1 year older then the date on the map software. So if the software says 2010, expect maps generated somewhere in mid 2009 or earlier.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by fray
...With that said, my experience with both direct from Navtech and Garmin maps in other vehicles is that the maps are rougly 1 year older then the date on the map software. So if the software says 2010, expect maps generated somewhere in mid 2009 or earlier.
The current map you can buy from Navteq (according to their customer service) is dated 2nd quarter 2009, so the map data is from the 2nd quarter 2008?
Old 12-18-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current map you can buy from Navteq (according to their customer service) is dated 2nd quarter 2009, so the map data is from the 2nd quarter 2008?
Unfortunately that has been my experience with the Navteq maps for Mazda. Likely finding someone with a 2010 model and the same map set would allow you to see if the update has enough to justify the price.

I found that for me, it usually takes a couple of years for the updates to be worth the $200 bill. (But then again, I know people who buy the map updates every year...)

Quick Reply: Navtec Update CD for Jeep is a JOKE.......