Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Navtec Update CD for Jeep is a JOKE.......

Old 12-17-2010, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navtec Update CD for Jeep is a JOKE.......

Yesterday, I received a CD update in the mail from Navteq Maps. I have been considering updating my navigation so the timing could not have been any better.

I went to their site and NO information was available, so I emailed them the following:
What regions or states were updated? Is there a listing available of cities or counties that were updated? What other information do you offer that would get me to update my software?

Here is their response:
Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ.

Before you order the activation code to update your system with the discs you received in the mail, please visit a local dealership to view the update on one of their lot vehicles. This way you will have a good idea of what the changes are and if they are what you were expecting.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

NAVTEQ Customer Service
P.O. Box 1588
Orem, UT 84059

OMG are they STUPID ! ! ! !
Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

What's the joke? They're saying that it includes everything that's on the new ones. Everywhere.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Zilla
What's the joke? They're saying that it includes everything that's on the new ones. Everywhere.
The new 2011 Wranglers don't have NAVTEQ maps in them because they are Garmin based. You would have to look at 2010 model vehicles, and do they have the same map that you would be purchasing today? Why can't NAVTEQ show what they have on the CD? Their web site has a map on it, and if they used the same database you could just go by that map, but unfortunately it doesn’t have the same database as the one they are trying to sell.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joe002
The new 2011 Wranglers don't have NAVTEQ maps in them because they are Garmin based. You would have to look at 2010 model vehicles, and do they have the same map that you would be purchasing today? Why can't NAVTEQ show what they have on the CD? Their web site has a map on it, and if they used the same database you could just go by that map, but unfortunately it doesn’t have the same database as the one they are trying to sell.
I believe that most navigation systems use maps provided from Navteq. They are a "leading map provider"

http://www.navteq.com/
Old 12-17-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is a joke, they should lower the price. I think most would update it. I refuse to pay $200......

What would you pay to update?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

Every car I have owned with a Nav system charged me $200.00 for updates. It appears they are in line price wise with everyone else. I have a 2011 and it does have a Garmin based Navigation system.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by evan631
I believe that most navigation systems use maps provided from Navteq. They are a "leading map provider"

http://www.navteq.com/
Yes, they are a major provider. Because I wanted to see what was on the map they are trying to sell I asked Navteq if they supplied the Garmin based units with their maps and they said no.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Default Navteq and Garmin

So I am seeing that the '11 now use garmin base maps is that right? Do they have topo and other stuff that Garmin has on their maps? I hat the fatc the we have jeeps and they give us a crappy street map. i always had lowrance or Garmin gps unit in my other vehicles and that have topo and dirt roads fishing spots campgrounds and ton of other more useful info. so what do the 11's have for maps, Oh and Jeep if you are reading this wise up and put real maps in your vehicles leave the street maps for lexus and buick and the like.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Navteq most definitely does provide Garmin with their mapping data. Navteq is currently more accurate and up to date in North America. TeleAtlas is more accurate and up to date in Europe. If Navteq told you they do not provide Garmin with maps, they flat out lied to you.

"Garmin® Ltd. Extends Agreement with NAVTEQ®
Garmin Ltd. does not intend to pursue its offer for Tele Atlas

Cayman Islands/DATE/PR Newswire — Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN) announced today that its subsidiaries, Garmin International Inc and Garmin Corporation, have signed a six-year extension to their agreement with NAVTEQ, a leading provider of digital map data for location based solutions and vehicle navigation. The agreement allows Garmin to continue using NAVTEQ data through 2015, with an option to renew for an additional four-year period. In addition, the parties have agreed to pursue expanded points of cooperation that will result in improved mapping quality and coverage worldwide, and will drive further device innovation into the future. The parties did not disclose specific details of the agreement.

"Garmin has partnered with NAVTEQ for many years. We utilize their map data in the majority of our products and we have always appreciated their commitment to the market," said Garmin CEO Dr. Min Kao. "Extending our agreement with NAVTEQ ensures the availability of quality mapping data for our customers, and provides a basis for enhanced cooperation which is a win-win for both Garmin and NAVTEQ. We believe the outcome creates the best value for Garmin, our customers, and stakeholders."

In addition and with reference to the press release dated October 31, 2007, Garmin also announced today that in light of these developments it does not intend to pursue its offer for Tele Atlas N.V."
Old 12-17-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Menard666
Navteq most definitely does provide Garmin with their mapping data. Navteq is currently more accurate and up to date in North America. TeleAtlas is more accurate and up to date in Europe. If Navteq told you they do not provide Garmin with maps, they flat out lied to you...
Here's what they told me:

Received: 12/6/10 7:42:41 PM MST
To: "'Alicia'" <nabc_english@navteq.com>
Subject: RE: Contact Us

Hello,

Thanks for the response.

I have a question about viewing the maps at the Jeep dealership. My version of the MyGIG unit is based on Harmon Becker hardware and the newer units are based on Garmin hardware. Do both units use your maps. In other words, if I go the dealership and look at the MyGIG units in a 2011 Wrangler (Garmin based) will they be the same as your N209 1004 maps?

Thanks,
Joe

================================================== ===========

Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 7:53 AM
To: joe
Subject: Re: RE: Contact Us <<>>

Hello Joe,

Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. At this time we have not received any information regarding the 2011 Jeep Wrangler so we would not be able to answer your question. The latest vehicle that we have been informed about that uses the MyGIG system would be the 2010 Jeep Wrangler, so you could always check that model for the mapping information.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

NAVTEQ Customer Service
P.O. Box 1588
Orem, UT 84059

nabc_english@navteq.com

Last edited by joe002; 12-17-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Navtec Update CD for Jeep is a JOKE.......