Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

napa 5w-30w full synthetic oil

Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I get to an oil thread on a board I have to laugh at what people write about oil. Most people learned and I use this word lightly about oil on the internet and we all know if it wasn't true it woudn't be on the internet. So now we have a lot of experts that got educated online and know more than lubrication engineers or Chrysler about what's good for a motor. I don't want to offend anyone but I use what the manufacturer recommends not what some toilet paper salesman read on the internet and thinks it's the truth.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
Well it must have changed for 2013, it's 5w20, I checked my oil yesterday as I was searching for a head part number and it's clear as day on the oil fill cap. I was thinking where an I gonna find 5 quart jugs of 5w20. Maybe that explains why I'm getting 20.5 mpg on my second tank of gas?!?
Lot's of places have 5w-20. O'Reilly's,AutoZone etc. in 5qt jugs.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

I buy Mobile 1 5w20 for my Sebring at Walmart in the 5qt jug for about $26
Old 11-12-2012, 11:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BlueLespaul2006
I have Napa full synthetic sitting in my 2012 JK right now. I have about 17,000 miles on the JK and about 2800 miles on this Napa oil. I do 5000 mile oil change intervals not the 8000 like is in the Jeep manual.

I don't like the Napa oil. The engine seems to tap more and the oil smells bad. I am not sure if the smell is due to the oil or a bad head. However, ever other oil change I used 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum with no issues of loud tapping or bad smells. I will be going back to my trusted oil (or G Oil full synthetic) at 20,000 miles.
The NAPA oil is made by Valvoline btw.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Valvoline 5w30 with a Mopar filter in my '12. I would try that Napa oil if its made by Valvoline. I paid $15.00 for a five quart Valvoline....whats the Napa stuff cost?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HRR1
I am new to this forum so if I am saying things that have been beat to death let me know. The oil change interval has also changed to 10000 miles or one year for the 2013. The required interval will also be displayed on the instrument panel based on how you drive so it could be less than 10000 and one yr. By the way for you M1 fans, and I am one, M1 does not presently meet the Chrysler spec 8395 or whatever it is as Mobil has not provided Chrysler with the data required. Do to this, and to make sure I keep my warrantee in effect, I plan to switch to Pennzoil Ultra which does meet the spec. With all the Pentastar head problems I don't want to give Jeep any excuse not to repair my engine. I think the issue has been resolved for the 2013's but only time will tell.

i know many of you change your oil much more frequently than the limit Chrysler suggests and I also know many of you do not use synthetic oil. I don't wish to get into that as it becomes a chocolate vs vanilla or manual vs automatic argument to which there is no answer.
actually the answer is manual.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hluckoff
Every time I get to an oil thread on a board I have to laugh at what people write about oil. Most people learned and I use this word lightly about oil on the internet and we all know if it wasn't true it woudn't be on the internet. So now we have a lot of experts that got educated online and know more than lubrication engineers or Chrysler about what's good for a motor. I don't want to offend anyone but I use what the manufacturer recommends not what some toilet paper salesman read on the internet and thinks it's the truth.
Well Chrysler must have screwed up somewhere... My manual says 5w20 but when I call the dealership they say 5w30 only
Old 11-13-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Is this only with the 3.6s and not the 3.8s? Have an 09 and run 5w-20 Lik it says and have not had any problems
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
The NAPA oil is made by Valvoline btw.
I know that however I like Pennzoil as it seems to work better in my engine. I have used Valvoline in other vehicles and it works great just not in this 3.6L.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Another vote for penzoil ultra synthetic. I put it in at 10k and again at 15k. I now have 16k on my 2012. Very happy with the penzoil ultra. Can buy in 5 quart jugs at the wallymart. Also, my last filter I had to get an STP because superstorm sandy had my local jeep dealers closed for over a week. I have to say that the STP looked identical in every way to the mopar filter, even down to the mold lines on the plastic parts.

Quick Reply: napa 5w-30w full synthetic oil