Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Name this loud squeak while driving. Video inside

Old 09-27-2021, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name this loud squeak while driving. Video inside

Hey all,
I recently regeared the rear at a well known shop but notice a squeak coming from the rear DS area. It starts at 15mph and increases with speed. Seems to quite down when I break. Very annoying and loud chirping...I did once spray wd40 where the rear DS meets the axle housing and noticed it stop but came back in 10 min.
07 jku with 4.88 gears . Video below

Old 09-27-2021, 02:51 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Sure sounds like dry metal on metal. Definitely coming from that end where the DS meets the pinion? I've heard similar from a double cardan driveshafts centering joint, but I see no mention of aftermarket DS in your profile. The red flag is "I recently had it regeared" and it does have a dry bearing sound. If you still have factory DS with CV joint right there, can't rule out that joint was damaged when removed from the old pinion and reinstalled on the new one either I guess. I think I'd be taking it back to the shop and asking them to assess it.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I booked an appt with the shop in 2 weeks because they r busy.. so today I jacked up the rear tires and put it in gear and of course no chirping... which is odd. Would that mean something to anyone knowledgeable on this. Chirps on ground , quite in air...
Old 09-30-2021, 04:01 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I can see how that might be difficult to replicate when under no load. Think about a CV joint or pinion bearings rotating around with no load vs tires turning on the pavement and the additional resistance of load.

I would say that shop needs to make this a priority vs. new business. If that is something like pinion bearings that isn't something you want to be driving around with for 2 weeks. Just my 2c.

If you really can't get in for 2 weeks, I'd maybe pull the rear driveshaft to eliminate that from the equation and then drive around in 4WD letting the front pull you for the time being.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:32 AM
syr
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

exact same noise I have when lightly hit the brake after installing teraflex big rotor kit... even with measured straight rotors, hub and all moving stuff...

Old 10-19-2021, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's officially gone after replacing rear brake pads

Quick Reply: Name this loud squeak while driving. Video inside