Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mystery Rattle

Old 01-23-2011, 03:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try tightening the two bolt on the upper side of the wind shield. I had a squeak that was driving me crazy and that fixed it.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

I love this game!! "Name that Rattle"

My vote is for the heat shield, at least that was my mysterious rattle a couple of weeks ago.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just recently fixed a rattle on mine. It was the 2 bolts that held the passenger side of the exhaust pipe into the header. They were loose.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it seems to be RPM related (shows up at certain points in the range) don't let sound looking heat shield welds fool you. They can be cracked and look fine. Mine was cracked on the lateral run...they replaced the muffler trying to fix the noise and a hose clamp eventually solved it after finding it with a rubber mallet.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jboth
I just recently fixed a rattle on mine. It was the 2 bolts that held the passenger side of the exhaust pipe into the header. They were loose.
Funny you should mention that. I gave it a solid shake and thought there was a little too much play there. How hard was it to wrench back down? Did you need access to the backside of the bolts?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Speaking of play, how much should there be in the front pinion? In other words if you rotate your front driveshaft back and forth, how much slop should be there?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by waterskipilot
Funny you should mention that. I gave it a solid shake and thought there was a little too much play there. How hard was it to wrench back down? Did you need access to the backside of the bolts?
I think you can only tighten them from under the jeep and I had to use an extension on the socket wrench to get to them. The play was vertical not horizontal so try pushing it towards the roof of the jeep.

Originally Posted by waterskipilot
Speaking of play, how much should there be in the front pinion? In other words if you rotate your front driveshaft back and forth, how much slop should be there?
It is normal to move a bit(1/4 to 1/2" or so)
Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

New rattle for me too..under the drivers side in the front. Coincidently it happened after I snapped my e brake cable parking on a hill. Got an arctic blast of air that night so I'm hoping the rattle is from ice buildup..45 degrees below zero for the windchills! I go to the dealer tomorrow so I'm gonna have them look for a rattle!

Quick Reply: Mystery Rattle