Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

On my way to pick up the oil to change the diffs...

Old 07-12-2010, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On my way to pick up the oil to change the diffs...

I've got about 4,500 miles on my Jeep and am going to change out the diffs just because of the metal shavings and for peace of mind. I guess i'm going to go with Mobil 1, as i've read thats what many of you use and run 70-90 in the front and rears. Is that weight correct? I don't do any wheeling, and am going to change it every 18,000 miles. Also, when I got to the autoparts store, will this oil be labled "Gear Oil" or will it just say Mobil 1 70-90? Finally, how many quarts do I need to pick up in order to fill the front and rear? I've never had a 4X4 before so this is all new to me. I saw a while back a link to changing out the front and rear diff oil, and it seems simple enough. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is ridiculously simple. The hardest part is disposing of the old stinky oil, and even that's easy if you don't have a BP-grade garage oil spill like I did.

I don't remember the M1 saying "gear oil" but it'll be located with the other gear oil at Vatozone. Tall bottle with a skinny spout. You don't need a funnel--the M1 bottle can be angled just enough to squeeze it all in straight from the bottle.

I seem to remember needing just a little over 3 quarts, but you should check the write-up sections, particularly WOL's write-up on the Solid Diff covers. I believe that includes diff oil capacity info.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
It is ridiculously simple. The hardest part is disposing of the old stinky oil, and even that's easy if you don't have a BP-grade garage oil spill like I did.

I don't remember the M1 saying "gear oil" but it'll be located with the other gear oil at Vatozone. Tall bottle with a skinny spout. You don't need a funnel--the M1 bottle can be angled just enough to squeeze it all in straight from the bottle.

I seem to remember needing just a little over 3 quarts, but you should check the write-up sections, particularly WOL's write-up on the Solid Diff covers. I believe that includes diff oil capacity info.
Will do, i'll buy 4 quarts. Vatozone
Old 07-12-2010, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

You shouldn't really worry about metal shavings, the plug is a magnet and catches them.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...hange-write-up

Good luck, should be easy enough. I also need to do this.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A screw on bottle pump is a lot easier than trying to tip the bottle, at least to me. One example follows and thanks to the forum member that point these out to me in an old post.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottle Pump..jpg
Views:	64
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	76565  

Last edited by kingteddybear; 07-12-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

Put some lotion on your hands and arms before you change out the oil if you don't wear gloves - that stuff stinks! And the lotion will make it easier to wash off.

Quick Reply: On my way to pick up the oil to change the diffs...