Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My tranny killed its self

Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My tranny killed its self

Sooo. a few weeks ago i started my voyage to thunder bay ontario from winnipeg in my jeep. anyways so iwas was driving got about 300k into the trip and strted hearing clunking banging noises then all the sudden rpms go to redline annnnd i stop moving. i stopped looked underneath the jeep . no signs of oil. checked the tranny oil, and it was full and didnt smell burnt. so i started it and tried to move. it made some disturbing noises and went nowhere. so i called chrysler roadside and they towed me to the dealer in kenora. long story short it was stuck there for three weeks. they replaced the transmission under warranty, thankfully. the tech showed me the gears from inside the tranny and the teath were all broken and chewed up. i have 75000 k on it. kinda dissaponted as i have only had it less than a year. anyone else have anything like this happen?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Used but not Abused

You bought it used-did it have a tow hitch? Mods? Did the tech offer an explanation? More backstory would help-
Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

i bought it used from the dealer. no mods whatsoever. was like brand new. it had one owner before and it was a lady. it had no tow hitch just the hook on the back untill i put the tow hitch on it but i have never towed anything with it. i asked the tech what could have caused this and he had no answer.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

( it was a lady ) Theres your answer!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Tranny Tanked

I had the exact same thing happen at 80k. Exactly the same. No towing no mods at that point, nothing. I was out of warranty so I had another shop rebuild it. The only thing they could reuse was the shell. He said he sees lots of Mopar tranny's tank around 75k. He suggested having the tranny filter changed at least every 50k and the fluids changed every 50 as well. He said DO NOT have an oil change place do it. Take it to a tranny shop since they know what to look for. Just my experience.....
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

i will do that forsure, its sad they dont make them like they used to, cant even make it to 100k and they puke.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

If I go to pick up my JK today, and the transmission commits suicide on the way back home (one hour trip one way), I'm going to be one pissed off little individual.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

have a tow truck on standby haha
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

Midgear is it a new rig for you? If so I would have the dealer change the filter before you get there and show it to you when you arrive. At least it will be done and you can look at the filter and see if any metal shows up. (if they don't clean it out before you get there) Argh
Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Ah crap.. i came in here thinking this was a TOTALLY different subject...

Quick Reply: My tranny killed its self