Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My New to me Jeep

Old 06-05-2016, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My New to me Jeep

So I thought I didn't need a jeep and sold my 2010. WRONG! Now I just couldn't stand it and ran across this 2015 used. Made the deal and brought it home. I love it. It had already had several things done to it, but it wasn't mine yet so to speak. So my first mod thus far is I pulled that cheap plastic lower skid off the front and pitched it in the trash. Then I built me a new metal skid to take it's place and hide the cross bar. It is painted with black bed liner. Tell me what you think.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...1&d=1465157153
Old 06-05-2016, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice. I'm a new JK owner (Firecracker Red - 2016 Willys picked up last month) and haven't done much to the stock creature that sits in the driveway. I was wondering about the plastic stuff. Not a fabricator or mechanic by any means but have time to mess with stuff in my retirement Is that a steel plate or sheet metal? Wondering about the gauge.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2Wolfes
Looks nice. I'm a new JK owner (Firecracker Red - 2016 Willys picked up last month) and haven't done much to the stock creature that sits in the driveway. I was wondering about the plastic stuff. Not a fabricator or mechanic by any means but have time to mess with stuff in my retirement Is that a steel plate or sheet metal? Wondering about the gauge.
I would say it is 10 gauge. It started out as metal building C channel that I had left over. I cut it 40"s long and 7"s wide. Then reduced the lower edge 1 1/2" each side to give it an angled look. After that I cut the one remaining 2" lip of the C down to 1/2" so I had an L shape with the short part of the L 1/2". I did that to give it some rigidity along the bottom edge. Drilled 3 holes in the cross bar with the metal clamped in place for the bolts. Next I made to V shaped pieces 1 1/2" wide with 2" legs. I pushed those in on each end between the underside of the bumper and my skid plate and marked their location on the plate.

After removing the plate I welded the V tabs in place. After reinstall I drilled through the bumper lower plate through the tabs and bolted the top in. All I had to do then is pull it back of and paint.

The arm that the cross bar is supported by on the passenger side was 1/4" longer than on the drivers side so I did have to trim it before I did any drilling to get the skid plate level with the bumper though.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Not too sure I could duplicate all that but certainly gives me ideas. Nice job for sure.

Quick Reply: My New to me Jeep