Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My jeep is out of comission

Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Odin show them some pics of your JK now.It looks a little different.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I remember when I was a kid, we used to take our parents' cars and get a wheel goin around a turn. Thought it was cool Those right rears would just go up in smoke. Especially my friend's father's 1970 Chevy Impala with that 300 horse 350. Little did we know then, but learned later on what damage we could have been in the differential area. A standard open differential is designed to let one wheel spin if it looses traction. It's just nuts, I know, but that's how it works. Let that wheel get in some mud or ice and there she goes. What happens inside the differential is another story. The side gears on the axles are twice as large as the little pinion gears that they engage with. When one axle is allowed to spin while the other is held still, those pinion gears spin twice as fast as the side gears on the axles. Although the differential IS designed to do this.....it's not supposed to do it long term. Such as burning tires around turns, or being stuck in the mud trying to get out. Imagine the heat buildup between those pinion gears and pinion shaft. It's tremendous. Piss one of them off, and it locks itself onto the pinion shaft. Now, you have the entire pinion shaft spinning in the carrier. Hardened steel spinning at high speed against cast iron.....with NO type of bearing or bushing. Ouch. Yup, sooner or later, the pinion shaft gets pissed off, too and locks to the carrier. Then, snapperoonty. You need to think back to before you heard any noise. Chances are that when you were "wheeling hard" you wheeled a little too hard with just one wheel spinnin. Hell, if it was mine, I'd try to warranty it and hope their gear man ain't as experienced as I am. LOL He might not know what caused it.
I broke a pin in a 10 bolt chevy rear end once burning up the tires. I blamed it on my first ex, I wouldn't have been hitting the skinny pedal as hard if she hadn't pissed me off so bad.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:31 PM
JK Freak

Damn Odin!

That really sucks! :(
Old 02-15-2009, 11:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Big A
Damn Odin!

That really sucks! :(
Not really,i will have it back on the road here in a week or so with Rubi 44's front and rear 4.88 gears and C2 gussets,reinforced track bar brackets. i just had to do it sooner than planed. Which works out good for me but not so much for the wife.I do think she's over it by now though.she's to the point she just shakes her head at me now instead of calling me names.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cub23
i'll try to throw up some pic's in the morning after work. It's not a very happy Jeep sitting on jack stands with nothing under it.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

ok here you go. doesn't it look so unhappy right now.

Man, this is killing me,but won't be too long till she's up and going again.I hope.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by odin725
ok here you go. doesn't it look so unhappy right now.

Man, this is killing me,but won't be too long till she's up and going again.I hope.
Hopefully it won't be sitting like this for too much longer.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh she can say NO but it would probably do no good.I got that wire today it cost me
Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...but than again divorce atterneys get pricey I hear.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I remember when I was a kid, we used to take our parents' cars and get a wheel goin around a turn. Thought it was cool Those right rears would just go up in smoke. Especially my friend's father's 1970 Chevy Impala with that 300 horse 350. Little did we know then, but learned later on what damage we could have been in the differential area. A standard open differential is designed to let one wheel spin if it looses traction. It's just nuts, I know, but that's how it works. Let that wheel get in some mud or ice and there she goes. What happens inside the differential is another story. The side gears on the axles are twice as large as the little pinion gears that they engage with. When one axle is allowed to spin while the other is held still, those pinion gears spin twice as fast as the side gears on the axles. Although the differential IS designed to do this.....it's not supposed to do it long term. Such as burning tires around turns, or being stuck in the mud trying to get out. Imagine the heat buildup between those pinion gears and pinion shaft. It's tremendous. Piss one of them off, and it locks itself onto the pinion shaft. Now, you have the entire pinion shaft spinning in the carrier. Hardened steel spinning at high speed against cast iron.....with NO type of bearing or bushing. Ouch. Yup, sooner or later, the pinion shaft gets pissed off, too and locks to the carrier. Then, snapperoonty. You need to think back to before you heard any noise. Chances are that when you were "wheeling hard" you wheeled a little too hard with just one wheel spinnin. Hell, if it was mine, I'd try to warranty it and hope their gear man ain't as experienced as I am. LOL He might not know what caused it.
wow...nice answer question...could this have began with the initial problem as well, getting water in the diff? If it fried a bearing, maybe it started seizing the pinion shaft then too and just took a little time to go?

Good case in point though for everyone to follow their owners manuals and change diff fluid if you've forded recently with potential for water to have gotten in there.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
wow...nice answer question...could this have began with the initial problem as well, getting water in the diff? If it fried a bearing, maybe it started seizing the pinion shaft then too and just took a little time to go?

Good case in point though for everyone to follow their owners manuals and change diff fluid if you've forded recently with potential for water to have gotten in there.
I'm pretty certain it started after being submerged. Once the diff fluid is diluted, it's all downhill from there. ALthough oil and water don't normally mix.....when they are constantly agitated together, it does affect the oil's viscosity. In a bad way.

Quick Reply: My jeep is out of comission