Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My fix for transfer case cable

Old 07-25-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cmp: look just above front driveshaft where it come out of T case edit: it's tight

For my fix I removed lever from case(10mm wrench), ground off back side of tit, used a punch to pop it out of lever, the resulting hole is roughly 1/4" so I drilled it out to 5/16

It helps to have a lift and $30K of snap on tools to play with
Old 07-25-2009, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Goody ... I can attest to how tight it is up there... I had to hold the rivnut with small vise grips while I tightened bolt.... holy crap
Old 07-25-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ockgator
cmp: look just above front driveshaft where it come out of T case edit: it's tight

For my fix I removed lever from case(10mm wrench), ground off back side of tit, used a punch to pop it out of lever, the resulting hole is roughly 1/4" so I drilled it out to 5/16

It helps to have a lift and $30K of snap on tools to play with
Thanks I'll check it out in the morning.....
Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I jumped on my creeper and spied it tonight. Man, I'm not looking forward to this, it's tight and you can barely see...
Old 07-26-2009, 05:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone on the other forum posted that you can just crimp down a clevis pin on the other side of it. No need for drilling or removal. Would that work?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
mine
Hi Folks,
I think I see a groove in the shaft? Why wouldn't a stainless steel "C-clip" work in place of the plastic? I haven't gotten under SARA (my JK) yet but C-clips are frequently used in industrial machine applications and it appears that it would work here. They are cheap, easy to install, and require no shaft modifications if I'm reading the picture correctly. Let me know if this is a viable fix...Thanks... Mike
Old 07-26-2009, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

I think any type of cotter pin,clip or whatever you use to hold cable on will work fine IF factory clip is still intact, the factory clip fills the gap between lever and cable end, w/o clip there's a lot of play in cable, feels like mushy shifter... my particular fix used something I had in my junk drawer to fix a sorry factory design... AND if it fails on the trail all I need is a nut and bolt to secure

I'd love to ask a Jeep engineer who came up with this
Old 07-28-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

This is the essence of DIY'ers... use what ya got to fix the problem

Quick Reply: My fix for transfer case cable