Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My first LSD trip

Old 03-19-2009, 07:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam3612
Can someone explain the whole LSD bit to me. I have it in my Sahara and it was my understanding that it just kicks in when one of the rear wheels spin, there is no switch to engage or disengage it correct?
Pretty much, yes. It's a "torque sensing" kinda thing. The unit has clutch packs at the inside end of each axle. When one wheel tries to spin, as more torque is applied, the clutches bind up and cause a semi locking action allowing more power to be given to the wheel with traction. The drawback to an LSD is it's percentage of lockup. Generally, stock units have a very low percentage, usually well under 50%. The track lock, which is the brand name for what's in the Jeep, is a very poor design to begin with. It has very weak preload springs. This is done to prevent people from complaining about "chatter" from an LSD. GOOD units will actually make noise under normal usage when going around turns, because they have a higher preload on the clutch pack and it takes more to break the clutches loose to negotiate the turn. Eaton makes the Dana Powerlock, which is a very substantial replacement for the stock LSD. It has lockup typically close to 75%, which is extremely good for an LSD. Of course, it still does not compare with a locker's 100%.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for breaking that down for me Redneck.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have a question my build sheet says i have a anti spin axle is that a LSD or is it something diffrent
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hiddenprey
i have a question my build sheet says i have a anti spin axle is that a LSD or is it something diffrent
I think its the same thing, do you have your window sticker? Should show up on there and the price should be $425
Old 03-20-2009, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hiddenprey
Anti spin is the same as the LSD, yes.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

cool, Thanks guys
Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
the 2007 Rubi's are open unless locked. The 2006 and later rubi's are LSD unless locked.
Originally Posted by saltman
I am not sure about the saharas. but the quote above is fact. Later as referenced in the quote above refers to 2003-2006 rubis for those who are slow.
No one is slow. "2006 and later" would refer to Jeeps produced in 2006 and after. If the reference is to Jeeps made BEFORE 2006, the word to use would be earlier not "later."
A 2004 Jeep was produced earlier than a 2007 jeep.
I understand what was meant by the original quote and I'm not trying to pick on anyone. I'm just trying to clarify why we "slow" people were confused.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
There are THREE kinds of differentials available in the 2007 and up Jeep JK. 1). A standard "peg leg" open differential. 2). A limited slip differential. 3). A selective electronic locker. The lockers are only available on Rubicons and some X models that are special ordered. The X models that have the rear locker option also have the electronic sway bar disconnect as the two are part of ONE package.

The "BLD" or "brake lock differential" is a TOTALLY seperate system to SUPPLEMENT the optional differentials explained above. BLD is not a part of the differential. It works through the Jeep's ABS computer by sensing wheel slip and applying that particular brake to help "hold" that wheel from spinning and directing a more equal amount of power to the wheel with traction.

The locker available in the JK is NOT a limited slip when disengaged, like the 2006 and BACK. It is a standard open differential until you flip the switch, then is is a SOLID LOCKED SPOOL.

I hope that helped.
You managed to distill 3 pages of confusion into three paragraphs that make sense. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2009, 02:16 AM
JK Freak

if your spinning wheels and the BLD isnt working in, pull up on the ebrake for a second, then it will kick in.
worked on mine.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:18 AM
JK Freak

my BLD will work after the LSD reaches its "break torque" point and continue to deliver power to the wheel with traction.

Quick Reply: My first LSD trip