Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

My first LSD trip

Old 01-25-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubiconOrdie
Where you getting your info? I think this forum needs some references. However, 2007 is after 2006 so i guess I agree.

My build sheet and Jeep say it is an ELECTRONIC LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (TRU LOCK). it is a limited slip differential until it is locked. A locked differential is not a limited slip...it is locked. Now I gotta suggest checking out www.jeep.com go to 4x4 basics...lots of good factual information there.
Finally found it. Electronic Limited Slip is a fancy name for our Brake Lock. Dude your Rubi diffs are open until you lock them. That's the Jeep Tru Lock ref: ww w.jeep.com
The Track-Lock is the LSD. Jeep only provides us a limited slip in the rear...huh they seem to provide many things to us only in the rear.
Here's more info on it from http://ww w.jpmagazine.com/roadtests/154_0611_2007_wrangler_jk_pros_and_cons/index.html

Complaint: The new electric lockers suck.
Reality: The JK axlehousings, shafts, and gears are all stronger than the TJ's. It's true, when disengaged the rear JK Rubicon locker is open whereas the TJ's is a limited slip. But we'll take the strength and durability over the limited slip any day.

Links disabled JIC.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsd

I thought I was on the wrong forum.....

As a marathon runner and Ironman in training (April 13th 2008, Tempe AZ), I thought you were talking about running. LSD (Long Slow Duration) is part of my training, to get longer runs in (over 20 miles). I also do SPEED (shorter, fast runs) too.....

I love my hobbies!!!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seer1
Finally found it. Electronic Limited Slip is a fancy name for our Brake Lock. Dude your Rubi diffs are open until you lock them. That's the Jeep Tru Lock ref: ww w.jeep.com
The Track-Lock is the LSD. Jeep only provides us a limited slip in the rear...huh they seem to provide many things to us only in the rear.
Here's more info on it from http://ww w.jpmagazine.com/roadtests/154_0611_2007_wrangler_jk_pros_and_cons/index.html

Complaint: The new electric lockers suck.
Reality: The JK axlehousings, shafts, and gears are all stronger than the TJ's. It's true, when disengaged the rear JK Rubicon locker is open whereas the TJ's is a limited slip. But we'll take the strength and durability over the limited slip any day.

Links disabled JIC.
Glad to see a reff. I see where it's written and it's an all around good article. So at this point...Jeep calls it a Limited slip, but it isn't? It's actually an open differential that can be selected to full locker but is called an Electronic Limited Slip Differential.

Your mistaken about what Jeep says, Here is a quote and link for you.
http://www.jeep.com/en/2007/wrangler...ems/index.html

"Standard on the Rubicon is the Tru-Lok system. The Electronic Limited Slip Differentials or ELSD locks power and distributes it evenly so both wheels turn at the same speed for the ultimate in traction. This means more power to the tires that are in contact with the surface where the power is needed the most to carry you over the top..."

It's called "All-Speed Traction Control" when the Jeep adds brake to spinning wheels to transfer torque to the appropriate wheel.

When going to Jeep, make sure your looking at the Wrangler, not the "Quadra-Drive II" on the Grand Cherokee.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Another nickel tidbit that may either help or fuel the debate.

In viewing an '07 Unlimited Sahara with the Limited Slip Diff option, and an '08 Rubi with ESP/eLSD - each having both rear wheels off the ground the following was observed:

The Rubi's tires spun in opposite directions. Meaning if you spun the rear drivers-side tire in a forward motion, the rear passenger-side tire spun in a rearward direction.

The Sahara's tires spun in the same direction. Meaning, spin the rear drivers-side tire in a forward motion, the rear passenger-side tire spun in the same (forward) direction.

I believe this showed me that the Rubi is really a physically\mechanically open diff (and eLSD doesn't kick in until needed) while the Sahara was not a physically\mechanically open diff having LSD available full-time (even if not needed).
Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
the 2007 Rubi's are open unless locked. The 2006 and later rubi's are LSD unless locked.
I am not sure about the saharas. but the quote above is fact. Later as referenced in the quote above refers to 2003-2006 rubis for those who are slow.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

Jeeps ESP is a good idea; although its not as aggressive as it should be when it comes to LSD. Toyota has it down packed! A friend has an FJ and he climbed a particularly steep rock inline in 2WD. My jeep had to be in 4WD to climb up.
We went a bit further and he got high centered while I crawled over the hump.....

My point is that LSD via ABS can be very effective. JEEP just needs to make it more aggressive.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are THREE kinds of differentials available in the 2007 and up Jeep JK. 1). A standard "peg leg" open differential. 2). A limited slip differential. 3). A selective electronic locker. The lockers are only available on Rubicons and some X models that are special ordered. The X models that have the rear locker option also have the electronic sway bar disconnect as the two are part of ONE package.

The "BLD" or "brake lock differential" is a TOTALLY seperate system to SUPPLEMENT the optional differentials explained above. BLD is not a part of the differential. It works through the Jeep's ABS computer by sensing wheel slip and applying that particular brake to help "hold" that wheel from spinning and directing a more equal amount of power to the wheel with traction.

The locker available in the JK is NOT a limited slip when disengaged, like the 2006 and BACK. It is a standard open differential until you flip the switch, then is is a SOLID LOCKED SPOOL.

I hope that helped.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 03-19-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
There are THREE kinds of differentials available in the 2007 and up Jeep JK. 1). A standard "peg leg" open differential. 2). A limited slip differential. 3). A selective electronic locker. The lockers are only available on Rubicons and some X models that are special ordered. The X models that have the rear locker option also have the electronic sway bar disconnect as the two are part of ONE package.

The "BLD" or "brake lock differential" is a TOTALLY seperate system to SUPPLEMENT the optional differentials explained above. BLD is not a part of the differential. It works through the Jeep's ABS computer by sensing wheel slip and applying that particular brake to help "hold" that wheel from spinning and directing a more equal amount of power to the wheel with traction.

The locker available in the JK is NOT a limited slip when disengaged, like the 2006 and BACK. It is a standard open differential until you flip the switch, then is is a SOLID LOCKED SPOOL.

I hope that helped.
Jeeezuzzz, Redneck! Thank you. I was wondering how far from the truth this thread was going to go.

edit to add: Each Tru-Lok diff has 4 spider gears, whereas the others have 2.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-19-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

My buddies in college would chug Orange Juice because they claimed that Vitamin C enhanced the effects... Was anyone else a retard in college? The best way to tell if it's working.... Go look in the mirror, if you run out of the bathroom screaming hysterically... IT'S WORKING!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep

I hope that helped.
Can someone explain the whole LSD bit to me. I have it in my Sahara and it was my understanding that it just kicks in when one of the rear wheels spin, there is no switch to engage or disengage it correct?

Quick Reply: My first LSD trip