Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is my auto toast?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think they'll be able to tell by just changing the fluid.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I was driving straight had just rounded a corner from a stoplight so I was only up to about 25 MPH.

RPMs went up to about 3.5K and back down but vehicle did not feel like it increased in speed at all so it felt like a slip.

Fluid is at the proper level. AFAIK it has never overheated but the HOTOIL recall was just done to it a few weeks ago so I have no idea prior to that.

The fluid color is now dark red/maroon.

They replaced my torque converter at around 8,000 miles for the rumble strip issue and they replaced the fluid then.

I am at 27K now.
Double check your fluid level. Both instances you described sound like the fluid pickup lost suction for a moment. Are you positive you have the correct dipstick for your tranny? Sounds far fetched but I've seen transmissions with the wrong dipstick installed. One that's too long with indicate a full condition when the trans is actually low.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may also be a programming problem. i had this happen several times going up the same on ramp the first summer I had the Jeep. After changing tire size and programming with hypertec has never happened again. If the tc unlocks and the tranny drops down to 1st it sure feels like its slipping because it has to rev so high just to match the speed you already were going. good luck!
Old 04-04-2010, 06:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if its a computer issue but I will check into that and that fluid dipstick as well.

Im pretty sure its the right dipstick. Its the one with the two holes on it and it says hot in between them.

Quick Reply: Is my auto toast?