Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mudding Causes A Bad Fan Sensor?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mudding Causes A Bad Fan Sensor?

Took my '08 Rubi Unltd through a mud bog three days ago. Last, time, ever. That mud was like concrete after it dried. $14 in quarters at the car wash, halfway done. Another two hours in the driveway, and I think it's clean enough to take to the dealer now. It got everywhere, and my Jeep now makes clunks and metal 'clang'ing sounds all over in the front. (no, it's not rocks in the brakes). Ugh. I've learned my lesson, everyone does sooner or later right?
Anyway, they can't see me till next week so I have a pressing issue hopefully you can solve. Since the bog, my check engine has been on. Took it to Advanced Auto Parts and after one of the free diagnostic checks, he said the code reads that there is a faulty fan sensor. What?! Stupid electronic everything. Anyway, I made sure the fan could now turn freely but I get nothing. Fuse is good. Anyone know where this 'sensor' is? Is it a driveway fix? How much is it to replace? Or, I noticed when cleaning the engine bay that the fan was mudded right up till I cleaned it out. Could I have burned up the motor since it couldn't turn for three days?

Thanks for any help. I'm supposed to be out wheeling this weekend.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:13 AM
JK Freak

Haven't looked in the shop manual, but I would meter the fan and see if it gets power. Bet you toasted it. Sensor can't be hard to change.

This link is for any part you would need for a JK. Others canuse it as well. Applys to all JKs. Good luck.

http://octane.trademotion.com/sfimag...net%2008JK.pdf
Old 07-02-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Sounds like the fan motor may be toasted.

The sensor is the coolant temp sensor. It tells the computer how hot the water is.

Are the noises you hear from the front related to the engine, or related to movement of the Jeep?

And, I'll bet the radiator fins are still clogged with mud, even though they may appear to be clean.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-02-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have everything cleaned up under the hood, I'd disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer. Sometimes the simplest things work. If it doesn't, it didn't cost you anything.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Sounds like the fan motor may be toasted.

The sensor is the coolant temp sensor. It tells the computer how hot the water is.

Are the noises you hear from the front related to the engine, or related to movement of the Jeep?
The noises have to do with the drive line. If I get it up to about 53mph, and cruise in fourth, I get this this crazy vibration front the front similar to what an electronic hair clipper feels like in your hand. (a fast, high frequency vibration.) If I give it gas, and it drops to third, it goes away till I let off and it goes back to cruising in fourth. Only get it when cruising at about 40mph or higher. The other sound seems to happen only when taking off from stop. It comes from the front tires area, it sounds like small metal teeth trying to engage. You know that sound the rubicon lockers make when you go from 'park' to 'drive' when there engaged? Kinda like that only nowhere near as loud. I'll see if I can get it on video and submit here today.

Thanks for all the help you guys.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

My check engine light comes on before the engine even gets hot or would need the fan. And yet, twice, it hasn't come on at all till the last mile of a 20 mile trip. What gives?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you get all the mud out of your drive train and wheels? That crap will throw your wheels out of balance.

Is your fan coming on at all?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

UPDATE: I had a gearhead friend over today and he says the fan motor shot. Power gets to the motor but blows fuses. When he skips the relay and uses a jumper wire, the fan turns at about 120rpm with the jeep engine running and hot!

Sound about right?
Old 07-02-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same prob after a real muddy trip turn out to be mud in the plugs that hook up to the fan clean them out and no prob since. There are two plugs
Old 07-02-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by medic_23387
I had the same prob after a real muddy trip turn out to be mud in the plugs that hook up to the fan clean them out and no prob since. There are two plugs
Where are they? The one is next to the fan. Where is the other?

Quick Reply: Mudding Causes A Bad Fan Sensor?