Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mud Terrains with odd wear pattern

Old 05-16-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud Terrains with odd wear pattern

My mud terrains in the front have an odd wear pattern. It seems every other lug is worn so when I'm driving it makes clopping sounds like a horse. My rear wheels have worn evenly so I'm not sure what the problem is. It's not like the middle of the tires or the sides are worn. That I can diagnose. But what in the world would make every other lug worn? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aznme1
My mud terrains in the front have an odd wear pattern. It seems every other lug is worn so when I'm driving it makes clopping sounds like a horse. My rear wheels have worn evenly so I'm not sure what the problem is. It's not like the middle of the tires or the sides are worn. That I can diagnose. But what in the world would make every other lug worn? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I had the same thing happen to my stock Rubi tires. Every other lug was worn on all 4 tires. Makes me wonder if something is off on my alignment and it balanced out when I rotated tires... btw, the tires had 30,000 miles on them when I noticed. I've already replaced them with 33's, but I'm worried it'll just happen again...
Old 05-16-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aznme1
You need to have your alignment checked.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I think that's a sign of toasted ball joints.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

ball joints are the most common cause from what ive heard also
Old 05-16-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how often have you rotated the tires?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
how often have you rotated the tires?
Bingo

10char
Old 05-17-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, Sounds like all the Mud tires here. If it does not sound like a 747 or Apache Gun ship it ant a mud tire. Thornbirds are the worst here. TSL's are next to the worst.

Make sure they are getting rotated. An move them from side to side not just front to back. You can break the pattern of the wear if you notice it soon.

My Muds a howling at the moment. I just rotated them for the first time. My fronts where worn with a feathered pattern to the inside. I know why mine have this. I drive on road alot and have sharp curves. I mean, look at your own tail light turns. Wait a min, who got mud on my tail light. Also mine has that same pattern. If you are running factory mud's, you need to look at the cleat that is the same as the one you are looking at not the one next to it. The short ones need to be compared, and the long ones compared. Just not to each other. There is different stress put on the long ones vs the short ones. IE its normal to have some difference in the short and long. but they should be close.

A tapper in the cleat or a bit is normal. It is in every tire that is driven on road. It comes from it pulling on the pavement. It is seen more in mud tires, as the cleats are larger and easier seen. That is the noise you hear. The cleats are hitting the ground and slipping on the pavement under the stress to move the jeep. It is normal to have some noise with a mud tire, dont get me wrong. I dont like it to sound like a jet on a runway, but there is some noise. IE howling, popping, roaring, or humming with this type of tire.

If you want a noise free drive. Find a good AT tire with HT tread and AT cleats. Mud Tires will always have some noise, some more then others. AT will have the next to none. An a HT will have nearly none.

Tire life depends on how you drive, where, and when. Have you locked your tires down alot. Do the roads around you fall into disrepair. Is it more noticeable on back roads or highway. Does it feel like your on the rumble strip. Do you feel like your on the proveing grounds for the tire company on the roads you drive on.

There are lots of factors to tread life and wear. Some are simple and others are harder to understand. Look at them and you can tell if its normal or not. IE tires wear with a feathered pattern to the outside.(more wear on inside of them, but goes across the tire). That would be a camber problem. A small bit of feathering to inside can be due to cornering and camber. Wear on the just out sides of the tires is normally a ball joint. A chopping or flat spot pattern on the tire comes from toe to far in or out.

Caster does not wear tires, No matter what they say. Caster is the lean of the axle. Thats what makes your steering center back when you let loose of the wheel. Has nothing to do with he wear of the tire just makes driven the car easier and makes lifts a PITA.

All in All that is a normal tread wear patter for BFG's. My AT's did that in all 3 sets on my TJ. An my Bridgestones did it to on my JKL. Now my BFG Mud's are doing it too on my new JK.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

My buddy had this happen to him as well. I think he did not rotate them and thats how they got that way. They did wear very odd though. JOE>
Old 05-17-2010, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just put them on the back and they'll wear out evenly.

Quick Reply: Mud Terrains with odd wear pattern