Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mud T/A's and tire presure

Old 09-12-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mud T/A's and tire presure

For those that have the 255/75/17 BFG Mu T/A's, what tire pressure are you running on road? Its been raining a lot and I've been slipping and sliding. Mine are at the recommended 37psi. Have been looking at new tires because of it.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:01 PM
kik
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running 37lbs. with my 10 Rubi with no problems. What has been you're speed when this happens?
Old 09-12-2010, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mainly starting from a stoplight, and several times turning a corner. The tires are good, with only 12k miles on them. One of my main concerns is that my daughter turns 15 next month and will be learning on my Jeep. I can handle the occasional slip but I don't want her to. Especially in my truck.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run 35 in mine,and they handle great in the wet weather of the NW. I do have them siped though.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimonfly
Mainly starting from a stoplight, and several times turning a corner. The tires are good, with only 12k miles on them. One of my main concerns is that my daughter turns 15 next month and will be learning on my Jeep. I can handle the occasional slip but I don't want her to. Especially in my truck.
Facing the same situation with a 15 yo son that will get his DL in 6 months. Still running the SR-A's on our JKU but about to pull trigger on a set of A/T's or M/T's. The tire pressure you are running, is that what is listed on the inflation sticker on the driver's side door frame or is it what is stamped on the tire sidewall?

One tip to pass along got curious since I know my son will try it. Things happen fast at 95 in a Jeep and my hood started to flutter.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

NorthRiver - Does the siping really help? I've read a little about it but didn't know if it was a gimmick or not.

Kingteddybear - The psi is what is on the inside of the door. I didn't know if something different would help. Also, I was going about 70 mph on a two-lane road and a semi passed me going the other way at about the same speed. I thought my hood was going to fly in my face!!! I even stopped by the dealer to have them make sure nothing was wrong with the latches. They assured me it wasn't going anywhere, but I still tap the brakes a little when a semi comes, just to get the nose down a little. It may not help, but it makes me feel better.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Siping absolutely helps. If you look at tires that have good wet weather traction (street Michelins,etc.) they always have lots of factory siping.

The siping creates more biting edges for the tire.

Not that you'll encounter any in Florida,but siping really helps with snow and ice traction also.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I talked to my tire guy about siping as well as the tech at the local Discount Tire. Both said siping isn't good here due to the hot weather. The DT tech said he doesn't even know of a machine locally to have it done.

On another note, my tire guy sold some BFG A/Ts last week and the lady doesn't like them. He took them back and said he would give me a good deal on them. They have 43 miles on them. I've had them before on my H2 and they worked well for the type of driving I do, so I may try to work something out in a trade.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

i run mine at 35 psi and have never had any issues with slipping in the rain...i drive a 6 speed and am pretty heavy on the skinny pedal from a stop so i'd drop the pressure a bit and see how it goes for you before i spent any more money on tires...besides the M/T's look way better than the A/T's...i think the 37 is just too high for that tire and makes it too stiff....it's already a pretty stiff tire as M/T's go...i've got 65k+ miles on mine without issue running them at that pressure and i rotate them every 5k miles with rotating in the spare tire as well...still plenty of tread left...

Quick Reply: Mud T/A's and tire presure