Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

MPG Question

Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only way I know of is to buy a OBDII reader. You can get bluetooth readers off of eBay for $25 or so and pair it with a smartphone. Most smartphones have apps available that can parse that data. For Android, search the market for Torque. It'll give you a ton of information to play with.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slob

Sorry I was just being funny. you are right thou.
Wasn't trying to be mean but my point is that you can get better. Its cool
Old 10-13-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Cdyspeed

I wish i was sitting that low but with my 6speed,4.88s, and 35s im running at 2800 or so rpms at 70mph it kills me so i drive pretty much 60mph everywhere i go but doing that i get about 17.5 and 18 mpg.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that i need 37's and that will bring my rpms down and it will still be great on highway and off road
I had 4;88s they were ok much happier with the 5.38s
Old 10-13-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I realize that I could probably get this info with something aftermarket. My question is why is there even a reset all option? What else is reset when you hold the arrow on this screen? I've tried holding different buttons to see if it cycles through other options, but no luck.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can kinda mimic realtime mpg with the stock computer. Just reset it about every 10-20 seconds, and it will essentially be averaging on a 3-5 second interval. You probably aren't exercising the accelerator more than once every 3-5 seconds, so it should give an pretty accurate assessment.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tylerm78
I realize that I could probably get this info with something aftermarket. My question is why is there even a reset all option? What else is reset when you hold the arrow on this screen? I've tried holding different buttons to see if it cycles through other options, but no luck.
I'm not sure about your model year JK, because I have the older style dash setup. In my '07, I have the average MPG and a timer function. I believe both of those are reset if I do a long hold on my reset button.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GCM 2
You are correct, the Aeroforce Intercepter guage does show that parameter in real time. I use it occasionally, but it gets annoying to look at it because it fluctuates an insane amount. Any tiny amount of grade change, any headwind, pedal input, etc. has huge effect on the mpg's reading since it measures down to one or two decimal places, and it gets nauseating to look at.
Ya I have displayed that a few times for kicks. Rough on the eyes.

After seeing it read 3 mpg enough times when I am accelerating, I no longer wanted to know anyway.

Quick Reply: MPG Question