Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is the MPG Gauge on the 2012 accurate?

Old 02-15-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It also does not figure in idle time, which will effect mpg.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

I always calculate the old fashioned way. Usually pretty close, but manual calculation is almost always 0 to .5 mpg less than the digital readout.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmdupas
I always calculate the old fashioned way. Usually pretty close, but manual calculation is almost always 0 to .5 mpg less than the digital readout.
Same here.....in the city. on the hwy its usually dead on. I do reset it every time i fill up though.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

My wife drives our 2012 to work every day, 65 miles round trip. It is mostly on State road with almost no lights. The dash gauge is always pretty accurate for her. Last fillup was 18.6 on the dash and 18.4 calculated. It seems to do better when there is a lot of driving with a steady pedal and worse when there is a lot of accelerating and braking.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by awesomo
Just like statistics, there are many different ways to calculate a metric. You just have to know how its calculated....unfortunately, I don't know how the Mopar ECU calculates the cluster MPG.

Different ways of calculating MPG (not industry standard; just logical mathematical calculations):

1) Miles Traveled/Fuel consumed [This is generally the most used and common calculation]

2) Miles Traveled/Fuel consumed-while not in idle [This calculation discounts any fuel consumed when the Jeep isn't traveling]

3) Average of sampled MPG at different intervals [The ECU will collect a single instant of MPG consumption at different points while moving and possibly while not moving, and then calculate the average of those samples]

4) Historical + Current MPG [Historical or past MPG rates are baked into your current MPG to calculate a life average]
I recently read that early MPG computers were programmed to ignore idle time because they could not measure fuel flow accurately at idle. That has long since been fixed because engine management computers needed better data to meet emission regulations and CAFE objectives. As a result, MPG computers now get accurate fuel flow data at all engine RPMs.

With accurate fuel measurement and the same distance information that appears on the odometer, there is reason enough to have confidence in the MPG computer. The JK system does not remember previous MPG figures; it starts from scratch at each reset.

I'm sure enough about the JK MPG computer that I would use it to check the accuracy of my manual calculation instead of the other way around.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

Well i was recently stuck in a traffic jam which dropped my avg MPG down a bit. I've double checked fuel estimators in toyo's, Honda's (2 & 4 wheels) and now the JK. They have always been dead on, although i do live in a flat state (Florida).
Old 02-18-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

So far after close to 4,000 on the odo, my 12' has been off about 1/2mpg to the plus side of my calc. The computer says 19-20 usually with my calculator showing 18.5-19.5 average.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

on wifes 2012 its with a half mile per gallon, on mine 09 its closer to dead on

Quick Reply: Is the MPG Gauge on the 2012 accurate?