Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Motorcraft FL-400s

Old 11-16-2008, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whtIwrk4
I just installed a napa gold filter because I read they are wix, and a good filter. I can honestly say that my JK has the worst dry starts I have ever heard out of it. Guess the ADBV isn't doing it's job. Tomorrow I'm getting a Ford filter.
The Ford filter never fails. I had a Wix filter fail as well.

Last edited by cmpmacchia; 11-16-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed this filter today. I'll be able to tell in the morning if there is any difference. I hope so.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whtIwrk4
Installed this filter today. I'll be able to tell in the morning if there is any difference. I hope so.
Did you notice any difference yet?

Last edited by turtoni; 08-16-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using the FL400 on my Jeep since the first oil change. No problems.
It is an excellent filter. The silicone ADBV works. By pass valve is rated 8-11 psi and it flows 7-9 gpm with 20 micron filtration. These specifications are virtually the same as the factory filter with the benefit of additional filter media area and a silicon ADBV.

Use it with no worries.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just as an update, i've been using this filter with no problems. When i did my last oil change a couple of weeks ago the filter was full of oil when i removed it, indicating that it *hadn't* drained back and therefore didn't leave the filter dry..
Old 08-17-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had issues with Fram filters in the past too (dry starts). I currently use Purolator Pure One filters and I haven't had an issue.
I did discover that my wifes Toyota Sienna uses the same Pure One filter that the JK uses so I would imagine you could use a Toyota brand filter for an '04 Sienna if you had to. Never had an issue with the Toyota filters on the van, and after all it's a mini-van engine!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cb4017
I've been using the FL400 on my Jeep since the first oil change. No problems.
It is an excellent filter. The silicone ADBV works. By pass valve is rated 8-11 psi and it flows 7-9 gpm with 20 micron filtration. These specifications are virtually the same as the factory filter with the benefit of additional filter media area and a silicon ADBV.

Use it with no worries.
Good info.. FL400(S)
Old 08-18-2010, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't want to flame on anyone but for those who use the Fram filters you need to go to youtube and search on oil filter comparison. User ckermit8 has the best reviews I believe. You can search oil filter test and get a video from eli14baby this is also a good review. I have used Fram filters for 20+ years and did notice any problem but after seeing these videos I would never use one again. Fram filters have paper end caps and that is just not good enough. One review even showed that the filter pleats had come loose from where they are secured and at least that persons filter was not filtering anything. I think all my vehicles are worth too much to skimp on oil filters.
All that being said Motorcraft filters are good that is all I ever used on my Mustang and it has over 160k miles and runs great.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread but I started reading and had an idea. I think that. Larger filter will in fact give you higher oil pressure and increased flow due to decreased resistence to flow as there is more medid. Decreased res equals more flow with same pump input.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft FL-400s