Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Motorcraft FL-400s

Old 11-02-2008, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clubber
If your satisifed with the ADBV that the Fram filter provides, why then didn't you get the larger Fram filter ? It's the TG 3600........
I have been using the motorcraft for the last three oil changes and have had no dry starts. I did when I was using the Mobile one filter.

I don't want to get into the fram Argument but I have seen enough extreme problems with them that I will NEVER use one on anything. I wouldn't even risk it on my Lawn Tractor. If the alternative was much more expensive it might be a different story but in my eyes it isn't work the risk to save 50 cents. I can't stand the grip anyway. It just gets in the way of my filter wrench.

My wife's car is a ford and also uses the FL-400s so its easier to just keep a stock of them.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Good info Tinman. I was a little confused at first till I realized that you changed your avatar.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

I think that sometimes TOO MUCH INFORMATION can be had on websites. I was using Mobil-1 filters, it was said that it didn't have an ADBV......Get the Fram tough guard ( which I did )....NO DRY STARTS was what I read . Now someone else says Fram's filter is no good at all......get Motorcraft.......Looks like nobody really knows what to get..............
Old 11-02-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that sometimes TOO MUCH INFORMATION can be had on websites. I was using Mobil-1 filters, it was said that it didn't have an ADBV......Get the Fram tough guard ( which I did )....NO DRY STARTS was what I read . Now someone else says Fram's filter is no good at all......get Motorcraft.......Looks like nobody really knows what to get..............
Hi clubber.
Both filters work as specified. One has a silicone ADBV the other is rubber. Both are fine. There are people who are dead set against Fram filters. They are fabricated using different materials but I've never had a problem with them, not in 25 years. I'm using Motorcraft right now because of easier access to the product, no other reason.
the bottom line is if you don't want dry starts, Fram and Motorcraft are great choices! Both work as specified. If you want to spend a few more bucks and enjoy the sound of you engine starving of oil, buy a mobil1 or K&N filter. For premature engine wear both are great choices and they both cost twice as much as the alternatives.
Like any oil filter you buy off the shelf we need to filter some of the sh** that gets posted on this forum!
Old 11-02-2008, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know it can be difficult to sort out the information. My point with Frams is they may be ok for you. I have know several people that have used them for years with no problems. However on the other side I have know several people personally that have lost engines do to a Fram Filter. Years ago I helped a friend tear his engine down after it died. When we dropped the oil pan, we saw that that pickup screen to the oil pump was clogged with paper. It was then I asked him if he had used a Fram filter since it was already removed. We dug it out of the garbage can and cut it apart. The filter end caps had been torn off. This was what was clogging the oil pump. I have heard story after story just like what played out for my friend.

With the amount of Frams sold it probably a 99% chance you won't have a problem. However with the extreme nature of the consequences( Losing the Engine) its not worth the risk for me. Its your choice I just wanted you to understand the other side.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by derff96963
I know it can be difficult to sort out the information. My point with Frams is they may be ok for you. I have know several people that have used them for years with no problems. However on the other side I have know several people personally that have lost engines do to a Fram Filter. Years ago I helped a friend tear his engine down after it died. When we dropped the oil pan, we saw that that pickup screen to the oil pump was clogged with paper. It was then I asked him if he had used a Fram filter since it was already removed. We dug it out of the garbage can and cut it apart. The filter end caps had been torn off. This was what was clogging the oil pump. I have heard story after story just like what played out for my friend.

With the amount of Frams sold it probably a 99% chance you won't have a problem. However with the extreme nature of the consequences( Losing the Engine) its not worth the risk for me. Its your choice I just wanted you to understand the other side.
Noted derff96963
Thanks for the information.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Default Where to buy FL-400s

Do any retailers, other than Ford Dealerships, carry the Motorcraft FL-400s?

... and is "FL-400" the part number that fits the 3.8L V6?

Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Wal-Mart has them, as do most auto part retail chains. And yes, that's the filter...
Old 11-04-2008, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

I also use the motorcraft filter thru 2 changes now. I was having a sputter with the mopar filter that my dealer used on the first change.

Now it runs perfect - I do not notice the start up sputter anymore.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

I just installed a napa gold filter because I read they are wix, and a good filter. I can honestly say that my JK has the worst dry starts I have ever heard out of it. Guess the ADBV isn't doing it's job. Tomorrow I'm getting a Ford filter.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft FL-400s